Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Tombstone Tuesday - The Angell Memorial in Derry

Although Derry's Forest Hill Cemetery has the gravestones of the original settlers, it is also the only public cemetery in Derry.  It has a wide variety of stones from the 1700s until the present.  These are the stones erected to the Angell family.  I think the epitaph under Lizzie Angell's name is the most interesting I have seen in a long time. 



Stone to the left:
EDMUND R. ANGELL                          LIZZIE JAMES
CHEMIST                                      WIFE OF
             1848 - 1934                               EDMUND R. ANGELL
PRINCIPAL OF                                 1849 - 1932
           PINKERTON ACADEMY 1876-1885    " I DON'T KNOW HOW TO DIE"  
                        1884 VIOLA MAY HAZELTINE 1960     
                              WIFE OF RALPH H. ANGELL                   

Stone to the right:
EVERETT H. ANGELL
1880 - 1890
"SEE THEM UP YONDER"
1884   RALPH H. ANGELL  1968
1885 GRACE J. HESELTON  1943


Stone to the right reads:
IN GOD'S WORKSHOP

The slanted stone read:
UNTIL THE DAY DAWNS AND
THE DARKNESS DISAPPEARS

---------------
Copyright 2010, Heather Wilkinson Rojo

2 comments:

  1. Fascinating memorial. I've never seen anything like it. My family had a strong business association with the Angell family in Providence, RI.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How unusual - I've never seen anything like it either, and the inscription "I don't know how to die". I'd love to know the story behind that inscription.

    ReplyDelete