Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Weathervane Wednesday ~ "Ain't nothing but a hound dog!"

Weathervane Wednesday is an on-going series of photographs I post weekly.  I started by publishing weather vanes from the Londonderry area, but now I've been finding interesting weather vanes all across New England.  Sometimes my weather vanes are whimsical, or historical, but all are interesting. Often, my readers tip me off to some very unique and unusual weather vanes, too!

Today's weather vane  is from somewhere in New Hampshire.

Do you know the location of weather vane #233? Scroll down to see the answer!




 Today's weathervane is a two dimensional hound dog.  It was spotted above the US Post Office in Georges Mills, New Hampshire.  This is a small village in the town of Sunapee, and the post office is across from Otter Pond.  We were passing through on our way to Vermont.  You can find this spot not far from exit 12A off of Route 89.

I'm not sure why the post office has a dog on its weathervane.  Perhaps this building had another purpose before being a post office? Perhaps the owner had a hunting dog? 

Click here to see the entire Weathervane Wednesday collection! 

------------------------
Published under a Creative Commons License
Heather Wilkinson Rojo, "Weathervane Wednesday ~ "Ain't nothing but a hound dog!" ",  Nutfield Genealogy,  posted November 5, 2015, (  http://nutfieldgenealogy.blogspot.com/2015/11/weathervane-wednesday-aint-nothing-but.html : accessed [access date]). 

2 comments:

  1. I've always loved weathervanes. There is just something about them that intrigues me, but I didn't realize until scrolling through your collection just how unique they could be. I've seen a lot of roosters in my time ha ha. I remember being intrigued by the grasshopper weather vane at Faneuil Hall. Fun post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment, Michelle! It's nice to know there are other weathervane fans out there!

      Delete