|Villar de Ciervo, Salamanca, Spain, 1915|
click on photos to enlarge
My husband’s maternal grandmother, María Consuelo Martín Rivero was born in the village of Villar de Ciervo, Salamanca, Spain in 1908, just a few years before this photograph. She is probably in the photograph with her parents, but we are not able to identify any of the townspeople. The church is the parish of San Agustín. Even today, the village is tiny, and has only about 350 inhabitants. It is located on the Portuguese border.
The pharmacist in Villar de Ciervo, María Ángela Sanchez Sevillano, was a noted artist. She was born in Villar de Ciervo in 1944 and she died in 1997. We have several of her paintings, but I cherish her portraits of the village the most. These paintings hang directly over my computer as I am typing this. The first painting is the San Agustín church, and the second painting is the house where Consuelo was born.
Maria Consuelo Martín Rivero’s Family Tree:
1. María Consuelo Martín, born 11 November 1908 in Villar de Ciervo, Salamanca, Spain, died on 29 April 2001 in the Hospital del Aire, Madrid, Spain; married on 8 September 1933 in Villar de Ciervo, to José Garcia, son of Sebastian García Muñoz and Maria Ribero Montero. He was born 28 Nov 1908 in Bouza, Salamanca, Spain, and died on 3 December 1994 in Madrid. He was a carbinero and a Captain in the Guardia Civil.
2. Manuel Martín Ventura, son of Mateo Martín and Manuela Ventura, born about 1880 in Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain, died on 10 September 1971 in Villar de Ciervo; married on 23 January 1904 in Villar de Ciervo to
3. Josefa Rivero, daughter of Manuel Rivero Serradilla and Orofila Gonzalez Garcia, born on 23 October 1884 in Villar de Ciervo, died on 17 November 1937 in Villar de Ciervo. Four Children.
i.) María Joaquina b. 21 December 1904, Villar de Ciervo, d. 25 Oct 1989 in Barcelona; married on 29 September 1928 in Villar de Ciervo to Nicanor Zato.
ii.) Nicolás d. 11 January 1966 in Tejares, Salamanca, Spain
iii.) Luisa Antonia b. 13 June 1906 in Villar de Ciervo, d. 4 March 2004 in Madrid; married on 18 September 1930 to Joaquin Garcia Ribero.
iv.) María Consuelo b. 1908
4. Mateo Martín, born in Vitigundino Salamanca, Spain, married to
5. Manuela Ventura, born in Barcelona?
i.) Manuel Martín b. about 1880
ii.) Jose Martín
6. Manuel Rivero, son of José Ribero and Agapita Serradilla, born in Villar de Ciervo; married to
7. Orofila Gonzalez Garcia, daughter of Agustín Gonzalez and Ana María García, born in Villar de Ciervo.
i.) Josefa b. 23 October 1884, in Villar de Ciervo, d. 17 November 1937 in Villar de Ciervo; married Manuel Martin on 23 January 1904 in Villar de Ciervo.
ii.) Jerman b. 22 May 1879 in Villar de Ciervo
iii.) Nicolás b. 1877
iv.) Juan Mamon b. 1 April 1880 in Villar de Ciervo, died 29 April 1891 in Villar de Ciervo.
12. José Ribero; married to
13. Agapita Serradilla, born 1800 in Guadaperro, Salamanca, Spain
14. Agustín Gonzalez, son of Ramon Gonzalez and Ynez Zamorreño; married to
15. Ana María García, daughter of Francisco García, (1776-1852) and Inocencia Bentura.
From the Baptism Records of Villard de Ciervo, LDS microfilm #1109489, and the Death Records of Villar de Ciervo San Agustín church.
For more information please visit http://www.elmolinero.com/fr1.htmThe website for the village of Villar de Ciervo, Salamanca, Spain, run by “El Molinero”, the local pub! There are photographs and some history, all in Spanish.
Copyright 2010, Heather Wilkinson Rojo