Here lies Interred
the Remains of
Mr. Samuel Houston
who departed this
Life Sept. 25th AD
aged 65 years
No house of pleasure here 'bove ground
Do I expect to have;
My bed of rest for sleeping found
I've made the silent grave.
When I saw this tombstone in Derry’s Forest Hill Cemetery I did a double take. This is not a name seen today in Londonderry or Derry, but there are many descendants scattered elsewhere. When I arrived home from Derry I did a quick look up of the “other Sam Houston”. It is interesting to note that General Sam Houston (1793- 1863) of Texas was also of Scots Irish descent. His ancestor, John Houston, Jr., was born about 1690 in Northern Ireland and died in 1754 in Timber Ridge, Rockbridge County, Virginia. He had arrived in America about 1735 with his mother and six out of seven children of his children. I have no idea if the two lines of Houstons are related.
Note how the two stones are only two years apart, but daughter Martha's small stone is quite primitive. It is decorated with carvings typically seen in Derry. Her father, Samuel's, stone is beautifully carved with a winged head and is much larger.
|HERE LYES THE BODY OF|
MRS. MARTHA HOUSTON
SHE DIED MAY 21st 1755
AGED 22 YEARS
The New Hampshire Houstons:
Generation 1: Samuel Houston, born about 1692 in Northern Ireland, died 25 September 1757 in Londonderry, New Hampshire; married Mary Cargill about 1718. She was the daughter of David Cargill and Jennett Smith, born about 1696 in Northern Ireland.
1. David Houston, born 27 December 1719
2. Rev. John Houston, born 4 April 1722 in Londonderry, died 3 February 1798 in Bedford, New Hampshire; married Anna Peebles. Three children.
3. Agnes Houston, born 24 August 1724; married James Mitchell
4. Samuel Houston, born 1726 in Londonderry, died 8 February 1819 in Belfast, Maine; married first to Esther Rogers; married second to Isabel Dickey. He was a member of the elite “Life Guard” to George Washington until 1780. Eleven children.
5. James Houston, born 1728 in Londonderry; married on 7 March 1750/1 in Hudson, New Hampshire to Mary Mitchell
6. William Houston, born 18 May 1732 in Londonderry, died 21 May 1755
7. Martha Houston, born 1733 in Londonderry, d. 21 May 1755 unmarried
8. Joseph Houston, born 3 January 1732/3 in Londonderry; married Mary Orr
9. Robert Houston, born 26 November 1738 in Londonderry, died 11 January 1826 in Acworth, New Hampshire; married Agnes Wallace.
Copyright 2011, Heather Wilkinson Rojo