Sunday, September 1, 2013

Liliuokalani's Birthday

Lili'uokalani born Lydia Lili'u Loloku Walania Wewehi Kamaka'eha on 2 September 1838 was the last monarch of the Kingdom of Hawaii.  Her married name was Lydia Kamaka'eha Dominis.  She became crown princess in 1874 when her brother David Kalakaua was elected to the throne.  Lili'uokalani inherited the throne in 1891. The Hawaiian Kingdom was overthrown and she was forced to abdicate the throne in 1895 while under arrest and imprisoned in Iolani Palace.  She died on 11 November 1917.

Sept. 2

A Mele for Lili'uokalani



from Youtube by Manuhaokalani  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfSGABiKQLc&list=UUhRteQP2rNsyk6KY6cAfmtA&index=2




6 comments:

  1. Heather, I first learned of Lili'uokalani when I heard a song by George Winston. It was originally written by the queen and George Winston adapted it for his album "Plains." It is beautiful. You can hear it at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3K97LA1L_uk and learn a little more about it at http://www.georgewinston.com/us/liner-notes-plains (#13).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nancy, I hadn't seen that one. I have the Queen's complete songbook, and also some recordings of Lili'uokalani and her brother David Kalakua. The entire family was very musical.

      Delete
    2. I hadn't looked but I wonder if there are recordings on youtube of Lili'uokalani and her brother. I'll have to see if I can find anything. The only song I know now is George Winston's and I'm wondering how different her music might sound when she performed instead of someone else adapting her music. Thanks for posting.

      Delete
    3. I should have stated that differently. The recordings are by modern artists of compositions by the four siblings "Tribute To Na Lani Eha - Music Of The Hawaiian Monarchy". I got it at the gift shop at Iolani Palace. There is also one with just instrumentals by the same four siblings.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. An appropriate song that is worth a listen or two.

    www.youtube.com/watch?v=Id4SzowyOhA&feature=related

    ReplyDelete