Tuesday, May 19, 2020

Samuel and Elizabeth Waterhouse, buried in Portsmouth, New Hampshire - Tombstone Tuesday

This tombstone was photographed at the Point of Graves, in Portsmouth, New Hampshire.


HERE LYES Ye BODY OF
Mr. SAMUEL WATERHOUSE
WHO DYED JANUARY
THE 1st 1744/5
AGED 38 YEARS
also Mrs. ELIZth WATERHOUSE
the wife of Mr. SAMUEL
WATERHOUSE Aged 29
YEARS, DYED 1736

Captain Samuel Waterhouse, a mariner, was born about 1706 in Portsmouth, son of Richard Waterhouse and Sarah Wells.  He died in Portsmouth on 1 January 1744/5.  About 1730 he married Sarah Pierce as his first wife, and she was the daughter of George Pierce and Elizabeth Langdon.  Samuel Waterhouse apparently had a second wife named Debora [maiden name unknown].  Although he was a relatively young man, he left a will in Portsmouth a few days before his death, knowing he was in his last illness:

"In the Name of God, Amen -
The twenty Sixth day of December in the Year of our Lord Christ, one thousand Seven hundred and forty four I Samuel Waterhouse of Portsmouth in Newhampshire in New England Marriner, being Sick and Weak in Body
Item.  I give and bequeath to my well beloved wife Debora, one hundred Pounds (Old Tenor) to be paid her by my Exetrix hereafter named.  I also give her two Silver Canns and all the Goods and Chattels that I had with her, also I give her the one third part of all my Real and personal Estate beside wt is above mentioned to her use during her Life Then the Real Estate to return to my Children as the rest of my Estate to be divided between them -
Item I give and bequeath all my Real and Personal Estate of what Name or Nature So Ever the Same may be, to my two Daughters Elizabeth and Sarrah to be Equally Divided between them: the Real Estate to be to them (after the Divission) and their Heirs & assigns for Ever, and I do hereby Nominate & appoint my Uncle Mark Langdon to be Sole Executor of this my Last Will and Testament: and I do hereby Revoke Disanul and make void all other Wills and bequests by me heretofore made - allowing and holding this and no other to be my last Will and testament In Witness whereof I have hereunto Set my hand and Seale
Samuel Waterhouse
Signed Sealed & Declared by the Testator, to be his Last Will and Testament in the presence of us the Subscribers Witness who Saw the Testator signe the above in presence of us that signed as Witnesses at the Same in the Testators presence
Thos. Hatch
Jacob Randell
James Jeffry
[Proved Jan. 17, 1744/5]"   

- from the Provincial and State Papers, Volume 33, pages 234 and 235

His daughter Sarah Waterhouse later married John Titcomb.  

----------------------------

Heather Wilkinson Rojo, "Samuel and Elizabeth Waterhouse, buried in Portsmouth, New Hampshire - Tombstone Tuesday", Nutfield Genealogy, posted May 19, 2020, ( https://nutfieldgenealogy.blogspot.com/2020/05/samuel-and-elizabeth-waterhouse-buried.html: accessed [access date]).

No comments:

Post a Comment