Wednesday, March 9, 2022

A Dolphin in Plymouth - Weathervane Wednesday

 This weathervane was photographed in Plymouth, Massachusetts. 


This adorable dolphin weathervane is very visible from the road, silhouetted against the ocean and sky.  It must be a very large weathervane since it is easy to spot from the road, which is very far from the house.  The weathervane is located above a very large cupola with a metal roof, and it appears to be two dimensional with a very ornate version of the cardinal points below the vane.   

Keep your eyes out for this weathervane if you are visiting Plimoth-Patuxet (the former name of the Plimoth Plantation museum) and downtown Plymouth.  You will pass right by it!


----------------------

To Cite/Link to this blog post: Heather Wilkinson Rojo, "A Dolphin in Plymouth - Weathervane Wednesday", Nutfield Genealogy, posted March 9, 2022, ( https://nutfieldgenealogy.blogspot.com/2022/02/a-dolphin-in-plymouth-weathervane.html:accessed [access date]). 

5 comments:

  1. Love dolphins and have never seen one on a weather vane before! Beautiful!

    I wonder, have you ever run into trouble photographing vanes? Now and then I've had people ask what I'm doing out of curiosity, but once a homeowner asked me not to photograph her vane and on another occasion a random guy (not even the owner of the house/vane in question) yelled at me very aggressively.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Often the homeowner will come out to see what I'm up to, and after a brief introduction they usually have long, fun stories about their weathervanes. I've never had a negative experience. I always stay in the road, off private property unless I'm invited closer. It helps to have a good zoom lens.

      Delete
    2. Gosh I hope it goes without saying I wasn't trespassing/rude!

      Delete
    3. I'm sure the day will come that I find a rude person. They are everywhere!

      Delete
    4. Let's hope not :o)
      I don't see the harm but the lady who didn't want her weather vane photographed, OK. However the guy who shouted, he scared and upset me. Have to remind myself it was just one occasion among many.

      Delete