Monday, December 12, 2011

Blog Caroling - The Holly and the Ivy


This is my 2011 contribution to the Blog Caroling Carnival hosted by the Genealogy blogger named Footnote Maven at this link:
http://www.footnotemaven.com/2011/12/do-you-hear-what-i-hear.html

The Holly and The Ivy
The holly and the ivy, when they are both full grown,
Of all the trees that are in the wood, the holly bears the crown.
Refrain:
Oh, the rising of the sun and the running of the deer,
The playing of the merry organ, sweet singing in the choir.
The holly bears a blossom as white as lily flower,
And Mary bore sweet Jesus Christ to be our sweet saviour
Refrain
The holly bears a berry as red as any blood,
And Mary bore sweet Jesus Christ to do poor sinners good.
Refrain
The holly bears a prickle as sharp as any thorn,
And Mary bore sweet Jesus Christ on Christmas Day in the morn.
Refrain
The holly bears a bark as bitter as any gall,
And Mary bore sweet Jesus Christ for to redeem us all.
Refrain



This is me, trying to learn to play a few Christmas Carols on my ukulele.  That was my husband, sneaking around with his iPhone recording me in secret.  The cat is hiding... (can you blame her?)

------------------
Copyright 2011, Heather Wilkinson Rojo

7 comments:

  1. Very nice! I like this carol too. My yard is full of both holly and ivy and this year the holly even has berries.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You play well -- and I also love that traditional carol. It sounds so upbeat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks everyone! At least you didn't run and hide under the sofa when you heard me picking out a tune on the ukulele...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heather, I love this carol-- probably because it's not one of the ones we hear over and over and over and over again at Walmart from October to December 25. You play pretty well, imo. And what a lovely tree!

    Will do this caroling thing too...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful. You played so gently and sweetly. It was a perfect accompaniament to the words.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You did a good job! I'm glad your husband caught you. A trio sang this song at my church Christmas program this past weekend. I had to remember we were in church because it felt like being in an Irish pub. HA!

    ReplyDelete