Saturday, November 25, 2017

Surname Saturday ~ HOYLE of Marblehead, Massachusetts


HOYLE / HOILE

The first mention of my 9th great grandfather, John Hoyle, is his children’s births in the Marblehead, Massachusetts Vital Records.  In 1674 the town of Marblehead listed the names of the heads of the 114 households, with their commonage, and we can see the name of John Hoyle. He left no other records, not even a deed, but John Hoyle left a will dated 1705.  He has two files in the Essex County Probate files because one file lists him as testate (file 14129) under the name of HOYLE, and another lists him as intestate (14097) under the name of HOYT. 

The Last Will and Testament of John Hoyle of
Marblehead in the County of Essex

I john Hoyle being sick of body, but sound memory, and desirous
To settle the outward estate lent me by God, doe by those revoke all
Former Wills by me made, and declare this as my last will; Imps  I
Commit my soul into the hands of God my Creator & Redeemer, my body
To the earth decently to be buried; my termporall estate I dispose of as
Follows, Imps  I will, that my just debts be firstly paid out of my personal
Estate by my executor hereafter named; Item I give to my eldest son
Samuel Hoyle the lower room part of my dwelling house, with the
???, sellar, and garden all ye and of the house, to be held , and enjoyed by him, and his heirs forever; Item as to ye rest of all my estate, Reall and personal
I give and bequeath the same to my other four children, and grandchild
The only son of my son Martin dec’d, and their heirs, to be equally divided
Among them, being called: Christian Moss, Mary, Anna & Susanna Hoyle &
John Hoyle, willing that the part given to my grandchild John Hoyle may
Not withstanding abide in the hands of all my other children, son & daughters
For their benefit, till the child come of Age, and then to be actually paid
And delivered to him, in case of his death only before such time, to revert
To my other surviving children part & part alike; Item So by those
Appoint my son Samuel to be sole Executor of this my
Will, and in Testimony of all, have hereunto sett my hand and seale
This thirtieth day of November Anno Dom.  One thousand seven hundred
And five.  ??? x   x  Anno ????
Signed Sealed and Delivered
In the presence of                                 John Hoyle
William Hind                                             his xxx marke
Saml Cheever
Sholial Dimond
Joseph  x  Dod
       His marke
Sarah  S  Sodgemore
       Her marke

My 8th great grandfather was Samuel Hoyle (1677 – 1710), who married Mary Fortune and had five children. After his death, his wife remarried to John Morris.  He left no deeds or probate, and I don’t even know his profession.   His daughter, Mary (baptized in 1702/3) married Peter Homan, a Marblehead fisherman, in 1723.

My HOYLE genealogy:

Generation 1: John Hoyle, born about 1646 in England, died about January 1706 in Marblehead, Massachusetts; married about 1668 probably in Marblehead to Ann Knight, daughter of Robert Knight and Mary Unknown.  She was born about 1650, died 30 November 1705 in Marblehead.  Eight children.

Generation 2:  Samuel Hoyle, born 15 January 1677 in Marblehead, died October 1710 in Marblehead; married 16 November 1699 in Marblehead to Mary Fortune, daughter of Elias Fortune and Mary Pitman.  She was born in 1680 in Salem and died in October 1710 in Marblehead. Five children.

Generation 3:  Mary Hoyle, baptized on 21 March 1702/3 in Marblehead; married on 12 December 1723 in Marblehead to Peter Homan, son of Edward Homan and Elizabeth Gould.  He was born 26 June 1699 in Marblehead. Seven children.

Generation 4: William Homan m. Elizabeth Unknown
Generation 5:  Thomas Homan m. Tabitha Glover
Generation 6: Betsey Jillings Homan m. Jabez Treadwell
Generation 7: Eliza Ann Treadwell m. Abijah Hitchings
Generation 8: Abijah Franklin Hitchings m. Hannah Eliza Lewis
Generation 9: Arthur Treadwell Hitchings m. Florence Etta Hoogerzeil
Generation 10: Gertrude Matilda Hitchings m. Stanley Elmer Allen (my grandparents)

-------------------------------

Heather Wilkinson Rojo, “Surname Saturday ~ HOYLE of Marblehead, Massachusetts”, Nutfield Genealogy, posted November 25, 2017, ( https://nutfieldgenealogy.blogspot.com/2017/11/surname-saturday-hoyle-of-marblehead.html: accessed [access date]). 

No comments:

Post a Comment