Saturday, August 4, 2018

Surname Saturday ~ MENDALL of Marshfield and Rochester, Massachusetts



MENDALL /  MENDELL

John Mendall, my 9th great grandfather, came late to New England, perhaps in the 1650s.  He married the widow of Jeremiah Burroughs.  She came with four small children, and her name is unknown.  Together they had five children with the surname Mendall, one son and four daughters, all born in Marshfield, Massachusetts and listed in the town records.   John Mendall’s birth, origins and exact death date are all unknown.

John Mendall’s will was dated 11 May 1711 and proved 8 February 1720.  His wife was not mentioned in the will, so she must have predeceased him sometime before 1711.  The will mentions his son, John; his grandson-in-law, Francis Crooker; his daughters Mercy Tinkham, Sarah Torry, Hannah Tilden and Ruth Doty; and his son-in-law Thomas Tilden.    This family is of great interest to Mayflower researchers because two of John Mendall’s daughters married grandsons of Mayflower Passengers.  Mercy married Peter Tinkham, grandson of passenger Peter Brown; and daughter Ruth married Theophilus Doty, the grandson of passenger Edward Doty (also my 10th great grandfather). 

The will of John Mendall:

In The Name of God, Amen. The tenth day of May in the year of our Lord 1711, I John Mendall of Marshfield in the county of Plimoth in New England, being aged & weak in body, but of perfect mind and memory thanks be given to God; therefore calling my mortality of my body to mind and knowing that it is appointed for men once to dye Doe make and ordain this my Last Will & Testament, that is to say, principally & first of all I give & recommend my soul into the hands of God that Gave it, & my body to be buried at the discretion of my Executor hereafter named & as touching such worldly Estate wherewith it hath pleased God to bless me in this life, I Give devise & dispose of the same in the following manner & form: That is to say ; First, I will that all those debts & duties as I do owe in Right or Conscience to any manner of person or persons whatsoever, Shall be well & truly contented and paid; or ordained to be paid in Convenient time after my decease, by my Executor hereafter named.
    Item: I give & bequesth to my well beloved son John Mendall, one shilling.
    Item: I give & bequeth to my well loved grandson-in-law, Francis Crooker, all my ropemaking tools that I doe use in or about the makeing of rope, after I have done useing them myself.
    Item: I give & bequeth all the rest of my estate of what kind or nature soever to my well beloved daughters, Mercy Tinckum & Sarah Torry & Hannah Tilden & Ruth Doty. I likewise constitute make and ordain my son-in-law Thomas Tilden to be my only & sole executor of my Last Will & Testament & I do hereby utterly Disalow, Revoke, and disannul all & every other former Testaments, Wills, & Legacies, Bequests & Executors by me before this time in anyways Named, Willed & Bequesthed, Ratifieing & Confirming this & no other to be my Last Will & Testament In Witness whereof I have hereunto sett my hand & seal this day and year above written.
      Signed Sealed Published Pronounced & Declared by the sd John Mendall as his Last Will & Testament in the presence of us the subscribers (viz) the words (my son-in-law Thomas Tilden to be) were Enterlined before the Ensealing & Delivery of these presents between eighteenth & ninteenth lines.
    The Mark of John X Mendall
    John Jones (signed)
    John Little (signed)
    Isaac Little (signed)

I descend from John Mendall, Jr. (1663 – 1743), my 8th great grandfather, who was a Quaker who settled in nearby Rochester, Massachusetts.  He had three children, two boys and one girl, born in Rochester and recorded there.  His death date is unknown, but his will was proven on 14 July 1743.

For more MENDALL information:

Descendants of John Mendall, Sr., of Marshfield, Massachusetts. by Sidney D. Smith, Gateway Press, Baltimore, Md., 1984.  Available online at archive.org 

Records of the Colony of New Plymouth, In New England, Volume 7, page 199.

My MENDALL genealogy:

Generation 1:  John Mendall, born about 1638 probably in England, died about 1720 in Marshfield, Massachusetts; married to Unknown, widow of Jeremiah Burroughs, before 1663. Five children.

Generation 2:  John Mendall,born 15 December 1663 in Marshfield, Massachusetts; died before 14 July 1743 in Rochester, Massachusetts; married about 1687 in Scituate, Massachusetts to Joanna Standlake, daughter of Richard Standlake and Unknown. She was born about 1661 in Scituate, and died 5 June 1738 in Rochester.  Three children.

Generation 3:  Joanna Mendall, born 13 May 1690 in Rochester, died before 3 May 1773 in Falmouth, Massachusetts; married first on 17 July 1707 in Rochester to Daniel Butler (five Butler children); married second on 16 May 1726 in Falmouth to William Green, son of Isaac Green and Unknown.  He was born 20 November 1696 in Malden, Massachusetts and died about 1773 in Falmouth.  Five more Green children.

Generation 4:  Tabitha Green m. Jabez Robinson
Generation 5:  Elizabeth Robinson m. Ebenezer Crosby
Generation 6:  Rebecca Crosby m. Comfort Haley
Generation 7:  Joseph Edwin Healy m. Matilda Weston
Generation 8:  Mary Etta Healey m. Peter Hoogerzeil
Generation 9:  Florence Etta Hoogerzeil m. Arthur Treadwell Hitchings
Generation 10:  Gertrude Matilda Hitchings m. Stanley Elmer Allen (my grandparents)

----------------------------

Heather Wilkinson Rojo, “Surname Saturday ~ MENDALL of Marshfield, Massachusetts”, Nutfield Genealogy, posted August 4, 2018, ( https://nutfieldgenealogy.blogspot.com/2018/08/surname-saturday-mendall-of-marshfield.html: accessed [access date]).

4 comments:

  1. I have source documents that Joanna Mendall m Daniel Butler (my 6th GGPs) 17 Jul 1707. No William Green. Otherwise, your dates line up with mine. Hmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your message. I forgot to mention Joanna's first marriage to Daniel Butler. She was widowed when she remarried to William Green. She had five children with each husband. I've edited the blog post to show both marriages.

      Delete
  2. John Mendall I is my 8th GG. I believe I have found his father; Walter Elliott Mendall (Mennell, Mennill) Jr. Walter was born in 1615 in York, England and died in Plymouth, Massachusetts in 1652. And I believe his father was Walter Mendall (Mennell or Mennill) also from England, but I don't know anything about him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also descend from John Mendall. Our line went to Illinois, Kansas and Missouri

    ReplyDelete