Saturday, February 2, 2019

ALLISON – Descendants of Nutfield Settler Samuel Allison

Samuel Allison tombstone, Forest Hill Cemetery, East Derry, New Hampshire
[Note:  I will be doing a series of genealogical sketches on the early Nutfield settlers in advance of the 300th anniversary of Founders Day, April 12 - 14, 2019 in Derry, New Hampshire.  If you have additional notes on the first few generations of this family, please comment below or send me an email at vrojomit@gmail.com, and I will edit this sketch.  These sketches will be used and distributed to the public and to descendants at the Founders Day activities.]

Alternate spellings ALLISON / ALISON / ALLESON / ELLISON

Samuel Allison was born about 1690 probably in Northern Ireland.  In 1718 the Rev. James MacGregor of Aghadowey brought many members of his flock to Boston.  This group went to Nutfield, New Hampshire, now Londonderry, in 1719.  Samuel Allison married Catherine Steele.   Their children are recorded in Londonderry starting in 1721.

Samuel Allison died on 6 September 1760 age 70.  Catherine died on 13 January 1760.  Both are buried at the Forest Hill Cemetery in East Derry in the plot called “First Settlers”.  Their epitaph reads [according to the genealogy book by Morrison (see below) because it is illegible today] “Here lies the bodys of Mr. Samuel Alison & Mrs. Katherine Alison his wife.  He departed this life 6th Sept. AD. 1760, in ye 70th year of his age. She departed this life 13th Jany AD. 1760, in ye 77th year of her age.”

He is called Charter Samuel Allison because he was one of the original grantees of land on 22 June 1722.  His land was between the grants given to John Morison and Thomas Steele.  Perhaps his wife was a kinswoman (sister?) of Thomas Steele?  Thomas married Martha Morrison, a sister of John, his neighbor.

From Vital Records of Londonderry, New Hampshire, 1719 – 1910, page 36

ALLISON, Samuel and Catherine.  Children: Martha, Mar. 31, 1721; Samuel, Oct. 8, 1722; Rebecca, Apr. 15, 1724.

Samuel Allison’s will:

In the name of God amen the fifteen Day of August one thousand seven hundred and sixty I Samuell Allison of Londonderry within his Majs. Province of New hamshir in Newingland Yoman being very sick and weak in boday – but perfite Mind and Memery thanks be given to God therefore Calling to Mind to Mortality of my bodey and Knowing that it is appointed for all men once to Die Do make and ordain this my last will and Tastament that is to say principally and first of all I give and Recommend my soul unto the hands of God that Give it and my bodey I Recommend to the Earth to be burid in a Desent Cristen burill at the Discraition of my Exacrs Nothing Doubting but at the generall Resurrection I shall Receive the same again by the mighty power of God and as Touching such worldly estat wherewith it hat pleased God to bliss me in this life with I Give Demise and dispose of the same in the following Maner and form –
                Imprimesis after my Debts and funeral charges is payd I Give and bequeath unto my Grand child Susanna Allison one single Johanna which is six and thorty shillings starling
                Itam I Give and bequeath unto my Daughter in Law Janet Allison my Cow –
                Itam I Give and bequeath unto my Daughter Jannet Morison for hir own use one single Johana of Gold –
                Itam I Give and bequeath unto my Daughter Rebecca Gray for hir own use on e single Johanna of Gold.
                Itam I Give and bequeath unto my son Samuell Alleson what farming utenshels I am possessed of with my Great bible and Grate pote –
                Itam I allow a tombstone in Good order to be put over my wife and me out of my Estat in Equell shares amongst my four Children (vis) Samll Allison Janet Moreson Martha Moreson and Rebecca Gray and my will is for them to Destrebute it Equilly amongst their children and I leekwise Constute make and ordeain my three sons (viz) Samll Alleson Samll Moreson of Windham and Samll Moreson of Derry to be my sole Exacutors of this my last will and Tastament and my will is for them to give the Revt. Willm Davidson Six Dollars out of my estat and I do hereby utterly Disallow Revock and Disanul all and Every other Tastaments wills legeces and bequeaths and Exacrs by me in any wise before named willed or bequeathed Reatefying and Confirming this and no other to be my last will and Tastament in witness whereof I have hereunto sate my hand and sale the Day and year above written signed sealed Published Pronounced and Declared by me and the sd Samll Alleson as my last will and Tastament in the presence of us the Subscribers
                                Samuel Allison (L S)
David Steel
David Craige
Mos Barnett

Proved by the oath of Moses Barnett in Common form the 10th Day of Sept. 1760

Children:
      1.       Jeanette, born in Ireland about 1712.  She married Samuel Morrison, son of John Morrison and Jeanette Steele.  They lived to very old age, she died on 8 January 1800 at age 87 years, and he died on 21 June 1802 at age 92 years.  Two sons:  Joseph and Samuel.
       2.       Rebecca, born about 1717. She married Robert Gray and removed to Biddeford, Maine.
       3.       Martha is reported to be the first female European child born in Londonderry on 31 March 1720, and she died on 3 December 1761. She married Lieut. Samuel Morison and died on 3 December 1761 in Windham.  They are buried at the Cemetery on the Hill in Windham.  Samuel is the son of James Morrison and Mary Wallace.  He came with his parents to Londonderry in 1719 when he was 15 years old.  The Morrison children:  John, Samuel, Catherine, James Dinsmore, William Allison, Hannah Aurelia, Albert Augustine, and Martha.
      4.       Samuel, was born about 1722 and died 5 June 1792 in Londonderry.  He married Janet McFarland, daughter of Andrew McFarland and Betty Christy.  Samuel Allison was a selectman and a coroner.  He served in the French and Indian War and died 5 June 1792. His children are Margaret, James, Catherine, Samuel, and John.  His wife died in Weathersfield, Vermont on 16 October 1809, at the home of her son, James Allison.
  

For more information:

The History of the Alison, or Allison Family in Europe and America, by Leonard Allison Morrison.

Clan McAlister of America – (Allison is a sept) https://www.clanmcalister.org/  


Click here for links to the sketches of all sixteen first Nutfield settlers: 
https://nutfieldgenealogy.blogspot.com/p/nutfields-first-16-settlers.html 


----------------------

Heather Wilkinson Rojo, "ALLISON – Descendants of Nutfield Settler Samuel Allison", Nutfield Genealogy, posted February 2, 2019, ( https://nutfieldgenealogy.blogspot.com/2019/02/allison-descendants-of-nutfield-settler.html: accessed [access date]).

1 comment: