Tuesday, April 28, 2020

Little Martha Chase Allen, buried 1867 in West Tisbury, Massachusetts - Tombstone Tuesday

This tombstone was photographed at the West Tisbury Burial Ground on Martha's Vineyard.


MATTIE
Dau. of
Joseph C. or Ann
C. ALLEN
Died Sept. 13, 1867
Aged 3 yrs. 1 Mo.

Martha "Mattie" Chase Allen was the daughter of Joseph Chase Allen and Ann Howland, born 16 August 1864 in West Tisbury, Massachusetts, and died 13 September 1867.  Her mother Ann Howland was the daughter of Elijah Howland and Sophronia Tilton.  She was a descendant of Mayflower passengers John Howland and Elizabeth Tilley.  

I'm a cousin to little Mattie on the Allen, Howland and Robinson lineages.

Allen of Braintree, Massachusetts: 

Howland of the Mayflower: 

Robinson of England, Leyden, Holland, and Massachusetts:

-------------------------------------

Heather Wilkinson Rojo, "Little Martha Chase Allen, buried 1867 in West Tisbury, Massachusetts - Tombstone Tuesday", Nutfield Genealogy, posted April 28, 2020, ( https://nutfieldgenealogy.blogspot.com/2020/04/little-martha-chase-allen-buried-1867.html: accessed [access date]). 

1 comment:

  1. This is a nice little page the only statement that I have an exception to is that these Howlands are connected to John Howland. I have been searching for many years for Elijah Howland's parentage. I have not been able to find anything regarding his family. Since all the Howland's from that area seem to be connected it is natural to assume that Ann C. Howland and her father are part of this line. If you have proof of his connection I would truly love for you to share it with me. It would solve a great mystery. If you would like to contact me please email sadiegirl06@comcast.net as I never really review my gmail account. I am hoping that I am incorrect and that you have the key! Joan

    ReplyDelete