Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Tombstone Tuesday- Billtown Cemetery, Nova Scotia

In 2006 we drove over 2,000 miles round trip from New Hampshire to Nova Scotia in this little red convertible. Our destination was Billtown, but we also saw Yarmouth, Lunenburg, Halifax, Louisburg, the Cabot Trail and the Bay of Fundy. It was a lot of fun, and we took a lot of photos. That is Yours Truly in the photo, with my daughter, the graveyard hound.

The Billtown Baptist Church
Home town of my 3x Great Grandfather
The Reverend Ingraham Ebenezer Bill (1805-1891)

The Bill Family Plot

Mary Rand Bill (1758- 1845)
My 4x Great Grandmother
"Sacred to the memory of Mary Rand
wife of Asahael Bill
who died 19 Feb 1845
in the 82nd year of her age"

Senator Caleb Rand Bill (1902-1872) and his wife Margaret Ann Bligh (1852-1938)
He was appointed to the Senate in 1867 by a royal proclamation of Queen Victoria, following Canadian Confederation that year.

Senator Bill was Reverend I. E. Bill's brother

Caleb Rand Bill's gravestone

-------------------
Copyright 2010, Heather Wilkinson Rojo

7 comments:

  1. What a beautiful church and setting for a graveyard. And I love the name Ingraham Ebenezer Bill! Thanks for sharing!
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE the church! I wonder if it's still used? Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mary, yes the church is still active. In fact, we arrived on a Sunday morning and the people of the town graciously invited us in for the service. I'm sure they were wondering who those strangers were- out front photographing the gravestones!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heather, any contact information you can provide for the Billtown church? My ancestors were married there.

    Thanks,

    Brian (e-mail me at oneelbk@yahoo.com)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the post and photographs, I have connections to the Bill family from the late 1700's.

    ReplyDelete
  6. http://www.billtownbaptist.com Will put you in contact with this church. I am not a Bill, but own the home of Senator C R Bill.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! When we were there years ago there was no website!

      Delete