Thursday, March 20, 2014

The GeneaBloggers "Just Make Up Some Lyrics" Challenge


Bill West, the author of the genealogy blog West in New England has posted his annual "Just Make Up Some Lyrics" Challenge.  I've never participated in this meme, but I decided to try it out this year.

According to the rules we have to mention which song I used to parody these lyrics.  I used "Somewhere" from West Side Story.   If you sing along to the tune, you can have some fun with my offering.


Somewhere (sung by your ancestors)

There’s a date for us,
Somewhere a grave for us.
Parents, siblings and a legal heir,
In a book
Somewhere...

Evidence of us….
You’ll find microfilm of us.
Vital records, wills, probate docs,
Cemetery plot cards,
Somewhere

Someday….
We’ll put it all on Ancestry
Add stories, charts, GEDCOM, deeds…
Someday

There’s a tree of us.
Dates and places of us
Hold my photo and I’ll show you where-
Hold my memory and I’ll take you there…
Somehow
Some day,
Somewhere! 


Music by Leonard Bernstein, original lyrics by Stephen Sondheim.
© 1956, 1957 Amberson Holdings LLC and Stephen Sondheim. Copyright renewed.
Leonard Bernstein Music Publishing Company LLC, Publisher. 


Check out the rules for the "Just Make Up Some Lyrics" challenge at this link:
http://westinnewengland.blogspot.com/2014/03/theres-less-than-month-left-now-to.html 

UPDATE 26 April 2014
Here is the post from Bill West's blog with all the participating "songs"!
http://westinnewengland.blogspot.com/2014/04/the-second-genea-bloggers-just-make-up.html


-----------------------
The URL for this post is:
http://nutfieldgenealogy.blogspot.com/2014/03/the-geneabloggers-just-make-up-some.html

Copyright (c) 2014, Heather Wilkinson Rojo

5 comments:

  1. That is terrific, Heather.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved it, Cousin Heather! I could see it being sung on a stage with a Broadway cast in different ancestral costumes!
    Thanks for being a part of the Challenge!


    ReplyDelete