Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Weathervane Wednesday ~ Seen along the Waterfront...

Today's weather vane post is number 250!  I'm celebrating by posting two weathervanes all seen near each other.  Two for one!  Can you guess the location?

I post a series of weather vane photographs every Wednesday.  This started with images of weathervanes from the Londonderry area, but now I've found interesting weather vanes all across New England.  Sometimes my weather vanes are whimsical, or historical, but all are interesting.  Often my readers tip me off to some very unique or unusual weathervanes, too!

Today's weather vane is from a vacation spot in New Hampshire

Do you know the location of weathervane post #250?  Scroll down to find the answer.





And also:




Today's weather vane was originally spotted by my friend Laurie Conn.  We investigated the weather vane together with Vincent, and he was able to get some fantastic photos of six weather vanes all in this downtown.  Have you guessed?  Yes, it was Meredith, New Hampshire, on the banks of Lake Winnepesaukee.

The first weathervane is a gilded scroll on the cupola of the Bay Point inn, part of the Mill Falls at the Lake resort.   Last week I featured the weathervane on the top of the old 19th century linen mill, which is another inn building of this same resort.  This gilded weathervane is a flat lyre design, popular on churches in New England.

The Bay Point Inn sits on the edge of Lake Winnepesaukee, next to a boardwalk that connects the hotel, Hesky park and town docks.  Hesky park features a sculpture garden (that bush you see in front of the flagpole is actually a sculpture of a giant pine cone) and this flag pole.  I've never seen a weathervane atop a flag pole, but this one is especially cute, with a tiny little sailboat vane.  It is very fitting since it is next to the town docks, and Meredith Bay is usually full of boats since the docks include a public boat access.

Vincent was able to photograph both weathervanes standing in the same spot across the street from the town docks.

Mill Falls at the Lake Resort    http://www.millfalls.com/

Click here to see the entire collection of Weathervane Wednesday posts! 

--------------------------------

Published under a Creative Commons License
Heather Wilkinson Rojo, "Weathervane Wednesday ~ Seen along the Waterfront...", Nutfield Genealogy, posted March 2, 2016, ( http://nutfieldgenealogy.blogspot.com/2016/03/weathervane-wednesday-seen-along.html : accessed [access date]).

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful weathervanes. I love this feature.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anna for your kind comment! I've seen the big one on the hotel many times when driving by, but never noticed the tiny one in the park until we strolled the neighborhood.

      Delete
  2. Thank you so much for all your hard work and for sharing so selflessly. My name is Annette Ham(m) Christenson. My 9th Great Grandparents were William and Honor Ham. I descend thru both Mathew and Elizabeth. Just recently stumbled onto your website and am enjoying it immensely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing your information. I know how tedious gathering info can be . It is much appreciated. It seems we are distant cousins. I descend from William Ham and Honor Stevens. Both their children, Mathew and Elizabeth are my 8th Great Grandparents. Your page has been very helpful . I am still dissecting it, but just wanted to say Thanks . The information here has helped my own research very much.

    ReplyDelete