Saturday, September 5, 2015

Surname Saturday ~ HUNTER of Salem, Massachusetts



HUNTER

Elizabeth Hunter’s origins are unknown.  She was an 18 year old girl on board the ship Blessing on 13 July 1635 from London to New England, along with her mother, Susan, and her stepfather, Richard Hollingsworth, her three siblings  ( William, 11; Thomas, 14; and Christian Hunter, 20) and four Hollingsworth half siblings. An interesting note is that Mayflower passenger Richard More married both Christian Hunter and Jane Hollingsworth- a sibling and half sibling to Elizabeth Hunter.

Elizabeth married Humphrey Woodbury, son of John Woodbury sometime before 1637.  They had twelve children.  Elizabeth survived to live three years longer than her husband, and wrote her own will.  Only two sons and three daughters are named in her will dated 8 August 1689 and proved 26 November 1689. I descend from two other sons, Isaac Woodbury (1643/4 – 1725) and Humphrey Woodbury (1647 – 1724).

Will of Elizabeth Woodbury, widow of Humphry Woodbury, Senr., late of Beverly. 1st May, 1689.
I give unto my two grandchildren, Peter ye son of John Woodberry, & to Peter ye sson of William Woodberry, 10 L apeice out of my estate because they bear ye name of my son Peter that was killed in ye war with Captain Lartheope by the indians, & had not had any inheritance among his bretheren.

I give to my two daughters Susana Tinee & Christian Traske to each of them 20 L apiece in money to be laid out in two Gold rings, and kept by them in rememberance of me.

My daughter Elizabeth Walker, my daughters Susanna Tenee & Christian Traske, Ex. My loving friends Peter Woodbury & Cornelius Baker, Overseers.

her
Elizabeth X Woodbury
mark

Witnesses, Wm. Woodbury, Sam'l Hardie, Hannah Baker.
This schedule or addition to my will made this 8th day of August, 1689.
I appoint my son William, Executor of my will, with my daughters.
Proved Salem 26. 9 mo. 1689 Inventory 26 Aug. 1689.
(Salem Court Files)
NEHGS Register, Volume 7, page 322.

Some HUNTER resources:

The Great Migration: Immigrants to New England 1634- 1635, by Robert Charles Anderson, Volume III, pages 473 – 474 for the Elizabeth HUNTER, and pages 380 – 384 for Richard HOLLINGSWORTH.

“Notes on the Hollingswoth, Hunter, More and Woodbury Families”, by Florence Barclay (Mrs. John E. Barclay) The American Genealogist, 1964, Volume 40, pages 77 – 84.

My HUNTER genealogy:

Generation 1:  Unknown Hunter married Susan Unknown.  Susan remarried second to Richard Hollingsworth, and third to John Jones.

Generation 2:  Elizabeth Hunter, born about 1614 in Buddleigh, Devonshire, England, died in 1689 in Beverly, Massachusetts; married on 11 April 1638 in Salem to Humphrey Woodbury, son of John Woodbury. Twelve children.

Lineage A:
Generation 3: Isaac Woodbury m. Mary Wilkes
Generation 4: Robert Woodbury m. Mary West
Generation 5: Robert Woodbury m. Priscilla Ellingwood
Generation 6: Robert Woodbury m. Hannah Preston
Generation 7: Molly Woodbury m. Westley Burnham

Lineage A1:
Generation 8: Asa Burnham m. Polly Bray
Generation 9: Lydia W. Burnham m. Samuel Mears
Generation 10: Samuel Mears m. Sarah Ann Burnham
Generation 11: Sarah Burnham Mears m. Joseph Gilman Allen
Generation 12: Joseph Elmer Allen m. Carrie Maude Batchelder
Generation 13: Stanley Elmer Allen m. Gertrude Matilda Hitchings (my grandparents)

Lineage A2:
Generation 8: Henry Burnham m. Sally Poland
Generation 9: Sarah Ann Burnham m. Samuel Mears (see above)

Lineage B:
Generation 3: Humphrey Woodbury m. Anna Window
Generation 4: Susanna Woodbury m. John Bray
Generation 5: Humphrey Bray m. Lydia Woodbury
Generation 6: Humphrey Bray m. Molly Herrick
Generation 7: Polly Bray m. Asa Burnham (see above)

--------------------------------

Heather Wilkinson Rojo, " Surname Saturday ~ HUNTER of Salem, Massachusetts", Nutfield Genealogy, posted September 5, 2015 ( http://nutfieldgenealogy.blogspot.com/2015/09/surname-saturday-hunter-of-salem.html : accessed [access date]).

4 comments:

  1. Another great post, Heather! Right now, I'm reading "The Mayflower Bastard" to see if it can help me with a connection to Richard More.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My first Mayflower application was for Isaac Allerton, who apprenticed Richard More. I love his story!

      Delete