Every month on the 10th day I post a “Top Ten” list for my readers. Here is another one featuring books about Nutfield, New Hampshire, in no particular order…
1. History of Londonderry, By Rev. E. L. Parker, 1851. This book is out of print, but widely available in used book stores and online book shops. It is also available to read online at archive.org but there is nothing like having this good reference book right at your elbow. The back of the book is full of genealogies of early Londonderry families.
2. Early Londonderry, a five volume set of books by the Londonderry Historical Society. Each book covers a specific section of town. Contact the Londonderry Historical Society to purchase one or the entire set http://www.londonderryhistory.org/shop/
3. Nutfield Rambles, by Richard Holmes, Peter Randall Publisher, 2007. This book, and the one below, are written by the Derry, New Hampshire town historian, Rick Holmes. Both feature chapter length sketches from Nutfield and Derry town history.
4. The Road to Derry: A Brief History, by Richard Holmes, History Press, 2009.
5. Willey’s Book of Nutfield: A History of That Part of New Hampshire Comprised Within the Limits of the Old Township of Londonderry, From Its Settlement in 1719 to the Present Time, by George Franklyn, Willey, 1895, available online at Internet Archive and on Ancestry.com
6. History of Windham, in New Hampshire 1719 – 1883: A Scotch Settlement (commonly called Scotch-Irish), embracing nearly one third of the ancient settlement and historic township of Londonderry, NH, By Leonard Allison Morrison, 1883, available online at Internet Archive. There was also a supplement to this book written by Morrison in 1892 which includes marriages, births and deaths 1882 – 1892 and some obituaries.
7. Vital Records of Londonderry, by Daniel Annis Gage, 1914 (covers 1719 – 1910) available online at the Internet Archive and the Hathi Trust websites for free. There is also a PDF at the Pelham Library website http://www.pelhamnhhistory.org/library/pdffiles/neighbors/vitalrecords/LondonderryVitalRecords.pdf This book is also searchable at Ancestry.com (check their card catalog).
8. Willey’s Semi-Centennial Book of Manchester: Historic Sketches of that Part of New Hampshire Comprised Within the Limints of the Old Tyng Township, Nutfield, Harrytown, Derryfield, and Manchester, From the Earliest Settlements to the Present Time, by George Franklin Willey, 1896 available to read or download online at Google Book Search.
9. Index to Genealogies in New Hampshire Town Histories, by William Copely, New Hampshire Historical Society, 2000. This is my favorite place to look up surnames from New Hampshire. Many New Hampshire town history books have genealogy sections in the back, for the early settlers.
10. Scotch Irish Pioneers in Ulster and America, by Charles Knowles Boston, 1910. Available to read online at Google Book Search.
If you know of any other great books that should be on this list, leave a comment below!
Heather Wilkinson Rojo, "Top Ten Books about Nutfield History and Genealogy", Nutfield Genealogy, posted December 10, 2016, (http://nutfieldgenealogy.blogspot.com/2016/12/top-ten-books-about-nutfield-history.html: accessed [access date]).