Saturday, October 27, 2018

Surname Saturday ~ PERKINS of Ipswich, Massachusetts


When the ship Lyon sailed for New England in 1630 it had my 10th great grandfather John Perkins on board, along with his wife, Judith, and six of his eight children.  The records of Hilmorton England contain the baptisms of the first six children, and are now in the Shirehall of Warwick, England.  John and Judith Perkins were admitted to the Boston church in 1631 as members 107 and 108.  Their youngest child was baptized in the Boston First church in 1632.


In 1633 he removed from Boston to Ipswich, where he received several grants of land. In 1664 some commissioners were sent to Massachusetts by King Charles I.  Some colonists did not agree with their report back to the King.  Among the 72 men in Ipswich who signed the petition were John Perkins, Jr. and Jacob Perkins (my 9th great grandfather).


Jacob Perkin's sister, Mary, married Thomas Bradbury.  She was tried for witchcraft in 1692 and sentenced to be executed.  Mary Bradbury escaped, was hidden by her family and lived until 20 Dec 1700.  

Estate of John Perkins, Sr. of Ipswich

Essex Probate Docket # 21337


28th of ye first mo called March, 1654.

I John Perkins the elder of Ipswich being at this tyme sick and weake in body yet through the mercy and goodness of the Lord retaining my understanding and memory: doe thus dispose of and bequeath my temporall estate as Followeth.

First. I do give and bequeath unto my eldest sonn John Perkins a foale of my young mare being now with foale if it please the Lord she foale it well also I give and bequeath to my sonn John's two sonnes John and Abraham to each of them one of my yearling heyfers: also I give and bequeath to my son Thomas Perkins one cow and one heyfer also I give and bequeath to his son John Perkins one ewe and to be delivered for his use at the next shearing time also I doe give and bequeath to my daughter Elizabeth Sargent one cow and an heyfer to be to her and her children after her decease as it may please ye Lord they may increase, the proffits or increase to be equally devided amongst the sayde children: also I do give to my daughter Mary Bradbury one cow and one heyfer or a young steere to remain to her and to her children in theyr increase or proffits as it shall please the Lord to bless them and to be equaly devided to ye children: also I doe give and bequeath to my daughter Lidia Bennitt one cow and one heyfer or steere to be equaly devided to her children in theyr increase or proffits after her decease; I doe also give unto my grandchilde Thomas Bradbury one ewe to be sett apart for his use at ye next shearing tyme: also I do give and bequeathe unto my sonn Jacob Perkins my dwelling house together with all the outhowseing and all my landes of one kinde and other together with all improvements thereupon to be his in full possession according to a former covenant after the decease of my wyfe and nott before and so to remaine to him and to his heires forever; all the rest of my estate of one kinde and other I do wholy leave my deare wife Judith Perkins apointing and ordaining my sade wyfe the sole Executrix of this my last will and Testament Desiring my sayde wife to dispose of the cattell above mentioned according to her discresion as they shall prove steeres or heyfers, also to dispose of some of the increase of the sheep to ye children of my sonn Thomas and of my three daughters at the Discresion of my sayde wife and this I doe ordaine as my Last will and Testament subscribed with my own hand this twenty eight day of ye first month 1654.

John Perkins (signed)


Signed in presence of

William Barthomew

Thomas Harris


Proved in court held at Ipswich 27 (7) 1654 by the oath of William Bartholmew and Thomas Harris per me

Robert Lord, cleric



For more PERKINS information:


The Family of John Perkins of Ipswich, Massachusetts by George A. Perkins, 1889


Wildes : The Ancestry of Dudley Wildes, 1759-1820, of Topsfield, Massachusetts, by Walter Goodwin Davis, Portland Maine, The Anthoensen Press 1959, p.75-76.  (This work has the English origins of John Perkins back to 1475)


The Great Migration Begins, by Robert Charles Anderson, Boston: NEHGS, 1995, Volume 3, pages 1431 – 1433.


My PERKINS genealogy:


Generation 1: John Perkins, son of Henry Perkins and Elizabeth Sawbridge, born 23 December 1583 in Hillmorton, Warwickshire, England, died between 28 March and 26 September 1654 in Ipswich, Massachusetts; married on 9 October 1608 in Hillmorton to Judith Gater, daughter of Michael Gater and Isabel Bayley.  She was baptized on 19 March 1589 in Hillmorton, and died after 26 September 1654 in Ipswich, Massachusetts. Eight children. 


Generation 2: Jacob Perkins, baptized on 12 September 1624 in Hillmorton, died 29 January 1700 in Ipswich; married about 1648 to Elizabeth Whipple, daughter of Matthew Whipple and Anne Hawkins. She was born about 1629 in Bocking, Suffolk, England and died 12 February 1685 in Ipswich. Nine children. Jacob married second to Damaris, widow of Nathaniel Robinson.

Generation 3: Jacob Perkins, born 3 August 1662 in Ipswich, died 12 November 1705 in Wells, Maine; married on 25 December 1684 in Ipswich to Elizabeth Sparks, daughter of John Sparks and Mary Roper. She was born about 1666 and died 10 April 1692 in Ipswich. Three children John, Elizabeth and Jacob, Jr. (I descend from Elizabeth and Jacob, Jr.)  Jacob married second to Sarah Treadwell and had five more children.

Lineage A:

Generation 4: Elizabeth Perkins, born 18 March 1691 in Ipswich; married on 2 July 1711 to David Burnham, son of John Burnham and Elizabeth Wells. David was born 20 October 1688 and died 2 February 1770. Five children and I descend from two of them.


Lineage A1:


Generation 5: David Burnham m. Elizabeth Marshall

Generation 6: Amos Burnham m. Sarah Giddings

Generation 7: Judith Burnham m. Joseph Allen

Generation 8: Joseph Allen m. Orpha Andrews

Generation 9: Joseph Gilman Allen m. Sarah Burnham Mears

Generation 10: Joseph Elmer Allen m. Carrie Maude Batchelder

Generation 11: Stanley Elmer Allen m. Gertrude Matilda Hitchings (my grandparents)


Lineage A2:
Generation 5: Westley Burnham m. Deborah Story
Generation 6: Westley Burnham m. Molly Woodbury
Generation 7: Asa Burnham m. Polly Bray
Generation 8: Lydia W. Burnham m. Samuel Mears
Generation 9: Samuel Mears m. Sarah Ann Burnham
Generation 10: Sarah Burnham Mears m. Joseph Gilman Allen (see above)

Lineage B:

Generation 5:  Jacob Perkins, born 15 February 1685 in Ipswich, died 19 May 1770 in Wells, Maine; married on 12 October 1717 in Hampton Falls, New Hampshire to Anna Littlefield, daughter of Joseph Littlefield and Lydia Masters. She was born 28 June 1702 in Wells.  Ten children.

Generation 6: Stephen Perkins, born 1736 in Wells, died 13 May 1818 in Loudon, New Hampshire; married Comfort Chesley, daughter of Jonathan Chesley and Mary Weeks.  She was born about 1735 and died 12 February 1818.  Twelve children.

Generation 7:  Mary Perkins, born about 1771, died between 1845 and 1850 in Chichester, New Hampshire; married in April 1789 in Loudon, New Hampshire to Nathaniel Batchelder, son of Nathaniel Batchelder and Mary Longfellow.  He was born in 1763 in Deerfield, New Hampshire, and died 20 August 1809 in Loudon, New Hampshire. Seven children.

Generation 8:  Jonathan Batchelder m. Nancy Thompson
Generation 9:  George E. Batchelder m. Abigail M. Locke
Generation 10: George E. Batchelder m. Mary Katharine Emerson
Generation 11: Carrie Maude Batchelder m. Joseph Elmer Allen
Generation 12:  Stanley Elmer Allen m. Gertrude Matilda Hitchings (my grandparents)

----------------------------

Heather Wilkinson Rojo, “Surname Saturday ~ PERKINS of Ipswich, Massachusetts”, Nutfield Genealogy, posted October 27, 2018, ( https://nutfieldgenealogy.blogspot.com/2018/10/surname-saturday-perkins-of-ipswich.html: accessed [access date]). 

2 comments:

  1. I'm descended from two of his children, his son Abraham and his daughter Elizabeth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are cousins--Jacob Perkins is my 9th ggrandfather!

    ReplyDelete