Friday, December 27, 2019

Surnames From My Family Tree


Over the past ten years I have written over 350 "Surname Saturday" blog posts.  Each post takes an immigrant ancestor from my family tree, and I trace my lineage up to my grandparents.  I give a detailed (as detailed as possible!) family sketch of the first few generations that carry this surname until it daughters out.  Each sketch also gives the genealogy and some resources for tracing that name.  Be aware that these families all immigrated to New England or Nova Scotia between 1620 and 1915.

These 350 sketches have provided me with many cousin connections!  I've enjoyed meeting new cousins virtually online, and in person at genealogy and blogging events over the years.  I've shared more family information with many of these cousins and interested researchers, and in return they have shared resources, family reunions, photographs, and lots of other ephemera and family heirlooms.  It has been a wonderful way to share family history.

Since the beginning of this blog in 2009 I have had a link to a page at the top of the homepage called "Surnames".  It gets many hits, probably from people searching for genealogy information.  I recently expanded this list of surnames and edited the lists so it is clickable. When you click on the name, it brings you to the "Surname Saturday" post.  I hope this has been helpful.  Since I got many comments about this change, I decided to write up this post so more readers would be aware of the new links.

Just peek up above to the top of the page, to the pages listed under the photo of Londonderry's Morrison House museum.  You will find "Surnames from My Family Tree" right there!  This is a permanent page, and will always be available every time you log onto my blog.  Names highlighted in red are "clickable" and will take you right to the Surname Saturday sketch of that lineage. 

You can also use the search bar in the upper left corner to search for any name, geographic location or topic in my blog.  Or you can click on the long list of keywords in the right hand column (this does not appear in the mobile version of my blog on phones and some devices).

Good luck!  I hope you find a cousin connection!

The link to my Surnames page:
https://nutfieldgenealogy.blogspot.com/p/surnames-to-9-generations.html

A link to a blog post from 2015 "How I write up my Surname Saturday Posts":
https://nutfieldgenealogy.blogspot.com/2015/05/how-do-i-write-up-my-surname-saturday.html


-----------------------

To Cite/Link to this post:  Heather Wilkinson Rojo, "Surnames From My Family Tree", Nutfield Genealogy, posted December 27, 2019, ( https://nutfieldgenealogy.blogspot.com/2019/12/surnames-from-my-family-tree.html: accessed [access date]).

No comments:

Post a Comment