Saturday, December 28, 2019

What did Genea-Santa Bring? Christmas Books 2019


I usually post the books my Genea-Santa brings every Christmas. This year was a big haul of delightful books that will keep me busy during all of 2020!  Thank you, Santa!

You might find a few good books for your Santa list next year in this blog post!


This is the 2015 version of the George Soule Pink Book from the General Society of Mayflower Descendants.  It will replace my dog-eared old pink book published in 1995.  The GSMD has not yet published a Silver Book for the descendants of George Soule (1593 - 1680), my 9th great grandfather. He arrived in Plymouth, Massachusetts on the Mayflower in 1620. 


This book is available through the Plimoth Plantation gift shop.  It is full of stories and photos of the restoration of the Mayflower II, in preparation for the 2020 400th anniversary commemoration.  


Santa found this book at one of the souvenir shops along the waterfront in Plymouth, Massachusetts, not far from the usual berth of the Mayflower II.  It is full of photos of the historic sites in the town of Plymouth, and only some are Pilgrim related.  The photos of the old homes are especially lovely, and poignant since many are no longer standing. 


This little book was written in 1997, and was bought at the Plimoth Plantation book shop. It is all about the construction and history of the Mayflower, and contains copies of many primary source documents from England. 



I don't know where Santa got this book, and it is not by any of the usual Pilgrim scholars or authors that I know.  Rod Gragg's book on the Civil War was made into a PBS documentary.


This book was first published in 1841, and is now reprinted by the New England Historic Genealogical Society, with a forward by Robert Charles Anderson.  It is a collection of documents about the separatists in Scrooby and Leiden, and their migration to New England.  The documents include works by William Bradford, Edward Winslow and Robert Cushman.


Santa doesn't remember where he bought this little CD "Colonial New England Maps 1550 - 1783".  The website is www.old-maps.com in West Chesterfield, New Hampshire.  I can't wait to see what is on the 30 maps included on this disk, published between 1550 and 1775! (Update:  Santa remembered that he bought this CD at the Plimoth Plantation bookshop)


This book will complete my collection of books by Robert Charles Anderson, plus it includes lots of information on my Mayflower ancestors.  It must weigh almost 4 pounds!


Just for fun, Santa renewed my subscription to the Mayflower Descendant for 2020.  Yay!



This fun, laminated bookmark was in my Christmas stocking. It is the same $10,000 bill I blogged about several years ago, depicting my ancestor Rev. John Robinson and the departure of the Mayflower Pilgrims from Holland.  This painting is also at Pilgrim Hall and on the inside of the dome of the Capital Building rotunda in Washington, DC.  You can read more about this painting by Robert W. Weir at my blog post:  https://nutfieldgenealogy.blogspot.com/2010/08/treasure-chest-thursday-great-grandpa.html  

I'll let you know later what I think of all these new books!  It will take me some time to read them all!

------------------------

To Cite/Link to this blog post:  Heather Wilkinson Rojo, "What did Genea-Santa Bring?  Christmas Books 2019", Nutfield Genealogy, posted December 28, 2019, ( https://nutfieldgenealogy.blogspot.com/2019/12/what-did-genea-santa-bring-christmas.html: accessed [access date]). 

2 comments:

  1. There is a Silver book for George Soule, published in 1980, but I understand there are many problems with this book.

    ReplyDelete