Saturday, April 26, 2014

Surname Saturday ~ INGALLS of Lynn, Massachusetts


Edmund Ingalls was born in Lincolnshire, England and settled at Lynn, Massachusetts at a place known as Ingalls Pond.  He arrived in the company of Governor John Endicott in 1629 with his brother, Francis Ingalls.  He died when a bridge broke over the Saugus River in 1648, and he fell with his horse into the water and was drowned.  The General Court paid one hundred pounds to his children for their loss.  Their petition read “The humble petition of Robert Ingalls with the rest of his brethren and sisters, being eight in number, humbly showeth, that whereas your poor petitioners father hath been deprived of life by the insufficiency of Lynne Bridge, so called, to the great impoverishing of your poor petitioners mother and themselves, and there being a Court order that any person so dying through such insufficiency of any bridge in the countrye, that there should be an hundred pounds forfeit to the next heir, may it therefore please this honorable Court to take your poore petitioners case into consideration.”

Edmund Ingalls is the 8th great grandfather of children’s book author Laura Ingalls Wilder, who wrote the Little House series. A good source for information on this family is Ingalls Genealogy by Dr. Charles Burleigh, 1903, and also Ingalls Genealogy by Dr. Walter Renton Ingalls, 1933.   I descend from two of Edmund Ingalls sons, Robert and Samuel, and from his daughter Elizabeth.  I think this is the only ancestor I have from whom I descend from three siblings. 

The last will and testament of Edmund Ingalls:

I, Edmund Ingalls of Lynn, being of perfect memory commit my soul unto God, my body to the grave and difpose of my earthly goods in this wife.
Firftly, I make my wife Ann Ingalls, sole executor, leaving my houfe and houfelot, togather with my stock of cattle and corn, to her, Likewife I leave Katherine Shipper with my wife.

Item, I bequeath to Robert my sonne & heir four pound to be payd in two years time by my wife, either in cattle or corn Likewife I bequeath to him or to his heirs, my houfe & houfelot after the deceafe of my wife.

Likewife I bequeath to Elizabeth my daughter, twenty shillings to be payd by my wife in a Heifer calf in two years time after my deceafe.
Likewife to my daughter Faith, wife to Andrew Allen, I bequeath two yearling calves, and inform my wife to pay him forty shillings debt in a years time after my deceafe.

Likewife to my sonne John, I bequeath the houfe & ground that was Jeremy fitts, lying by the meeting houfe, only out of it the sd John is to pay within four years, four pounds to my sonne Samuel, and the ground to be his security, further I leave with said John, that three Acres of land he had in England fully to pofsefs and enjoy.

Likewife, I give to Sarah, my daughter, wife of William Bitnar my two ewes.

Likewise, to Henry my sonne, I give the Houfe that I bought of Goodman West, and six Acres of ground, lying by it, and three Acres of Marsh ground lying at Rumley Marsh, and this the sd Henry shall pofsefs in two years after my deceafe, Only out of this the sd Henry shall pay to my sonne Samuel, four pounds within two years after he enters upon it.

Likewife I bequeath to Samuel my sonne, eight pounds to be difcharged as above, in the premifes.

Laftly, I leave with Mary the Heifer calf that she enjoyed and leave her to my wife for future dowry.

Finally, I appoint Francis Ingalls, my brother & Francis Dane, my sonne in law, overfeers of my will, and order that thofe things that have no particular exemption in the will mentioned, be taken away after my deceafe and entreat my overfeers to be helpful to my wife in ordering her matters.

His
EDMUND X INGALLS
Mark
Witness: William Morton, Francis Dane, Francis Ingols
Proved 14:9:1648 by Francis Ingalls, and 27:4:1649 by William Morton.

Essex Co. Quarterly Court Files, vol. 1, leaf 103

My Ingalls genealogy:

Generation 1: Edmund Ingalls, son of Robert Ingalls and Elizabeth Unknown,  born 17 June 1586 in Skirbeck, Lincolnshire, England, died 16 September 1648 in Lynn, Massachusetts; married about 1618 in England to Ann Tripp.  She was born about 1600 in Skirbeck,  and died about 1649 in Massachusetts.  Nine children and I descend from three: Elizabeth, Robert and Samuel Ingalls.

Lineage A:

Generation 2: Elizabeth Ingalls, baptized on 28 February 1619 in Skirbeck, Lincolnshire, England, died 9 June 1676 in Andover, Massachusetts;  married about 1639 to the Reverend Francis Dane, son of John Dane and Frances Bowyer.  He was born 20 November 1615 in Bishop Stortford, Hertfordshire, England and died 17 February 1697 in Andover.  

Generation 3: Hannah Dane m. William Goodhue
Generation 4: Bethiah Goodhue m. Benjamin Marshall
Generation 5: Elizabeth Marshall m. David Burnham
Generation 6: Amos Burnham m. Sarah Giddings
Generation 7: Judith Burnham m. Joseph Allen
Generation 8: Joseph Allen m. Orpha Andrews
Generation 9: Joseph Gilman Allen m. Sarah Burnham Mears
Generation 10: Joseph Elmer Allen m. Carrie Maude Batchelder
Generation 11: Stanley Elmer Allen m. Gertrude Matilda Hitchings (my grandparents)

Lineage B:

Generation 2: Robert Ingalls, born about 1621 in England, died 3 January 1698 in Lynn; married about 1646 to Sarah Harker, daughter of William Harker and Elizabeth Unknown.  She was born abut 1625 and died 8 April 1696. Eight children.

Generation 3: Nathaniel Ingalls, born about 1660 in Lynn, died about 1736; married to Anne Collins, daughter of Joseph Collins and Sarah Hires.  Ten children.

Generation 4: Hannah Ingalls, born about 1713, died before 15 April 1798; married June 1735 in Lynn to Daniel Hitchings, son of Daniel Hitchings and Susannah Townsend.  He was born 19 October 1709 in Lynn, and died 25 April 1760 in Lynn. Twelve children.

Generation 5: Abijah Hitchings m. Mary Gardner
Generation 6: Abijah Hitchings m. Mary Cloutman
Generation 7: Abijah Hitchings m. Eliza Ann Treadwell
Generation 8: Abijah Franklin Hitchings m. Hannah Eliza Lewis
Generation 9: Arthur Treadwell Hitchings m. Florence Etta Hoogerzeil
Generation 10: Gertrude Matilda Hitchings m. Stanley Elmer Allen (my grandparents)

Lineage C:

Generation 2: Samuel Ingalls, born about 1632 in England, died 30 August 1717 in Ipswich, Massachusetts; married 9 December 1656 in Ipswich to Ruth Eaton, daughter of John Eaton and Ann Crossman.  She was baptized 12 February 1637 in Hatton, Warwickshire, England and died before 1716 in Massachusetts. Nine chlldren.

Generation 3: Joseph Ingalls, born 23 December 1666 in Ipswich, died 1724 in Gloucester, Massachusetts; married 3 January 1704 in Ipswich to Sarah Thompson, daughter of Alexander Thompson and Deliverance Haggett.  She was born about 1671 in Ipswich.  Five children.

Generation 4: Mary Ingalls, born 1716 in Gloucester, died 27 December 1796 in Chebacco Parish, Ipswich, Massachusetts; married 12 January 1738 in the Chebacco Parish Church, Ipswich to William Allen, son of Joseph Allen and Catherine Leach. He was born 21 May 1711 in Manchester, died 10 June 1785 in Chebacco Parish.  Nine children.

Generation 5: Isaac Allen m. Abigail Burnham
Generation 6: Joseph Allen m. Judith Burnham
Generation 7: Joseph Allen m. Orpha Andrews
Generation 8: Joseph Gilman Allen m. Sarah Burnham Mears
Generation 9: Joseph Elmer Allen m. Carrie Maude Batchelder
Generation 10: Stanley Elmer Allen m. Gertrude Matilda Hitchings (my grandparents)

------------------------------
The URL for this post is
 http://nutfieldgenealogy.blogspot.com/2014/03/surname-saturday-ingalls-of-lynn.html 


Copyright © 2014, Heather Wilkinson Rojo

13 comments:

  1. I descend twice from a Mary Ingalls (dates unknown - I haven't researched this line), who married Daniel Eaton in 1664 in Reading, Middlesex, Massachusetts. Their daughter, Mary Eaton, married John Cole, of whom I wrote in my Surname Saturday post here: http://ancestories1.blogspot.com/2014/03/surname-saturday-cole.html,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Miriam, I also descend from the EATON family of Reading. They married into the EMERSON family who lived on COLE's hill

      Delete
  2. So we're both distant cousins of Laura Ingalls Wilder! I don't descend from Edmund though, that I know of.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm descended from Elizabeth Ingalls. Another cousin connection

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heather,

    I believe President James Garfield is a descendant of an Edmund Ingalls b. 1678 in Bristol, Rhode Island d. 03 Apr 1749 in Rehoboth, Massachusetts. My tree stops at Edmund, but I wonder if he was a descendant of the immigrant Edmund Ingalls?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Edmund and Ann Ingalls are my 10th great grandparents. I descend from Faith Ingalls and Andrew Allen.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Edmund and Ann are my 10th great grandparents. I descend from Faith Ingalls and Andrew Allen.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Do you know anything about the Katherine Shipper that Edmund mentions in his will?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry, but I don't know any more information about Katherine Shipper. I suppose she was a servant? Slaves usually didn't have last names (at least in the other wills I have read from Essex County). It is quite a mystery I would like to know more about, too!

      Delete
  8. Ingalls Pond location. I was looking at some old maps showing Ingalls Pond and wondered if anyone has any info on where it was located? I used Google earth in comparison of the old map and it looks like the pond is no longer there...probably filled in to create residential etc. I can give more details on where I think it's located but I'm hoping others will know precisely and or have old survey maps of the area.He was my 10th Great Gramps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually went to the original home site of Edmund Ingalls this last fall. The pond once known as Ingalls pond is now known as Goldfish Pond located in Lafayette Park. I believe the current street is Bloomfield. There is a boulder with a marker on the corner of the park showing this to be the original home site of Edmund Ingalls who is my 10th Great grandfather.

      Delete
  9. Heather....not sure if I've given this to you before or not....My Ingalls' line: 1. Henry Ingalls, b 1480 Skirbeck, Lincolnshire, England, d 01 Jun 1555 Skirbeck, Lincolnshire, England; m Abt. 1500 Skirbeck, Lincolnshire, England, Joan Wytton
    2. Edmund Ingalls b Abt. 1525 England, d England; m unknown
    3. Robert Ingalls b 1563 Skirbeck, Lincolnshire, England, d 21 Jul 1617 Skirbeck, Lincolnshire, England; m Elizabeth b 1566
    4. Edmund Ingalls b 26 Jun 1586 Skirbeck, Lincolnshire, England, d Mar 1648 Saugus, Mass; m Abt. 1619 Skirbeck, Lincolnshire, England, Ann Tripp [d/o John Tripp & Isabel Moses]
    **[Their Children:
    Mary m John Eaton,
    Joseph,
    Robert m Sarah Harker (my line),
    Elizabeth m Francis Dane,
    Faith m Andrew Allen,
    John m Elizabeth Barrett,
    Sarah m William Bitnar,
    Henry m Mary Osgood (My sister in-law’s line thru son, Samuel Ingalls m Sarah Hendrick,
    Samuel m Ruth Eaton]
    5. Robert Ingalls b Abt. 1621 England; m Sarah Harker d 08 Apr 1696 [d/o William Harker]
    6. John Ingalls d 31 Dec 1721; m Elizabeth Barrett
    7. Elizabeth Ingalls; m 02 Jan 1702 Rehoboth, Mass, Benjamin Crabtree b 12 Oct 1673 Rehoboth, Mass. [John Crabtree & Mary]
    8. Benjamin Crabtree b 30 Jan 1704 Rehoboth, Mass d 29 Nov 1736; m Jemima Briggs
    9. Eleazer Crabtree b 04 Feb 1734 Attleboro, Mass, d 1824 Vinalhaven, Maine, North Island; m 11 Apr 1776 Weston, Mass, Lucy Traine b 03 Jun 1757, d Jun 1802 Vinalhaven, Maine, North Island
    10. Jamima Crabtree b 15 Jun 1792 North Haven, Knox, Maine, d 12 May 1837North Haven, Knox, Maine; m 10 Jan 1822 North Haven, Knox, Maine, James Beverage b 03 Oct 1789, North Haven, Knox, Maine, d 05 Dec 1850 North Haven, Knox, Maine, [s/o Thomas Beverage & Mercy Kent]
    11. Albert Glover Beverage b 31 Oct 1827 m Olive Leadbetter Carver ~ my gg-grandfather

    ReplyDelete