Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Weathervane Wednesday ~ A Nantucket Sleigh Ride?

Weathervane Wednesday is an on-going series of photographs I post weekly.  The first weathervanes I published were from the Nutfield (Londonderry) area, but now I've found interesting weather vanes from all over New England.  Some weathervanes are historical, some are whimsical, but all are interesting.  Often, my readers have sent me photographs of unique and unusual weather vanes from all across the USA and around the world.  If you know a historical or interesting weather vane, please let me know!

Today's weathervane is from New Hampshire.

Do you know the location of weather vane #220?  Scroll down to see the answer!



There are lots of weather vanes to be seen along Ocean Boulevard in Rye, New Hampshire.  Some of the weather vanes are missing their turning figures, probably due to wind or weather.  This is a new one to me this year.  I've photographed a lot of weathervanes in Rye, so this is probably new construction or a replacement.

I called this weathervane "Nantucket Sleigh Ride" as a joke.  Actually, the whalers of old used to use the phrase Nantucket sleigh ride when a harpooned whale would head out to sea and drag the whaleboat and men behind.  This is more fanciful, and less bellicose version of a Nantucket sleigh ride.  No harpoons. And no whales were harmed.

What a fun weathervane for a sea side home!

Click here to see the entire Weathervane Wednesday collection

-------------------------------

Heather Wilkinson Rojo, "Weathervane Wednesday - A Nantucket Sleigh Ride?", Nutfield Genealogy, posted August 5, 2015, ( http://nutfieldgenealogy.blogspot.com/2015/08/weathervane-wednesday-nantucket-sleigh.html: accessed [access date]). 

No comments:

Post a Comment