Friday, July 28, 2017

Happy 8th Blogoversary to me!


On 27 July 2009 I wrote my first blog post, not expecting that I would still be blogging in 2017!   I remember that I wrote that post days before this date (maybe even weeks before?) but I was working up the nerve to “publish”.  Finally, I pushed the button.  When I came back three days later to post the next story, I was amazed to see that several people were reading my blog. And it grew from there!

Over the past years I have grown as a writer.  And I’ve also made hundreds of new friends in the genealogy and genealogy blogging world. And I’ve grown as a researcher and genealogist. And I’ve not only “met” people virtually online but I’ve been all over the world from Hawaii to Nova Scotia to Spain on trips to meet cousins, to speak at conferences, and to research more stories. Who knew all that would happen just by writing my little stories on the web?

I can confidently say that blogging my genealogy and local history stories has helped my research in hundreds of ways.  When I started, I had been researching for over 30 years, and I thought it was time to stop researching and to take all those notes and turn them into stories. This was true, and writing up all the notes into stories and sketches has been a terrific experience.  But, I was wrong when I thought that it meant that I could stop researching.  Fine tuning my previous research, and writing up sketches, has meant even more research as I double check my old notes, search for new research, and discuss these New England ancestors with other genealogists and distant cousins via the blog, social media, and in person.

Some genealogists work in their “genea-caves” visiting archives alone, and researching online late at night all alone in their pajamas.  That used to be me, too.  Since I started blogging I’ve learned to reach out, double check my sources, crowd source my stories, and visit libraries and repositories with a buddy (or even with a crowd!).  Not all bloggers have had this experience or change in their lives, but I’m glad it happened to me.  Even if I someday stop blogging (don’t worry! I’m not even thinking about that!) I will always cherish the new friends, colleagues, cousin connections, and professionals I have met and befriended on this journey.

Some statistics collected over the past 8 years (as of today):

2497 blog posts
2,152,172  pageviews
5049 comments  (less comments in the last two years. I don't know why)
278  Surname Saturday posts
357  Tombstone Tuesday posts
304  Weathervane Wednesday posts

Best month ever:  April 2015 - over 75,000 pageviews

Most popular blog post ever:
"A Favorite Christmas Gift!  You Might Want One, Too!"  218,610 views

A link to my first blog post:

------------------------------

Heather Wilkinson Rojo, “Happy 8th Blogoversary to me!”, Nutfield Genealogy, posted July 27, 2009, (https://nutfieldgenealogy.blogspot.com/2017/07/happy-8th-blogoversary-to-me.html: accessed [access date]).

16 comments:

  1. Heather, Congratulations on your 8th year. I enjoy your stories and, a double bonus, we are cousins.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Blogoversary, Heather, and wishing you many more! I'm so glad you keep sharing interesting and fun posts. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Blogiversary, Cousin Heather!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Bill! I think you were one of the first people to comment and follow my blog. I remember that it was some story about the Prescotts in Lancaster, or maybe the Westford knight?

      Delete
  4. Congratulations on your blogiversary. I really enjoyed your very first post on the connection between Hawaiian royalty and Boston, and the Christmas present too :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations! I just started reading genealogy blogs several years ago, but I have enjoyed them. You and your blogging colleagues have helped me think of new ways to research, new sources to research, and different ways to write about my family history. Please keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words, Kathy. I love writing about genealogy and local history, but the comments and feedback from readers are what make blogging the most fun.

      Delete
  6. A huge achievement and an (ongoing) historical contribution too! You are a very generous blogger as well--I remember when I first started my own blog (which also seems to be plugging along much longer than expected) you were among the first to give me a shout-out and a link!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy blogiversary! I enjoy your blog. -- wow, eight years! I've learned so much from reading it, though we don't appear to be related -- I keep hoping that our lines will cross because your research is great, and it would save me so much time! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. A belated Happy Blogoversary cousin! I was off the grid in the Adirondacks all last week. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. HaPpY 8th Blogiversary Heather! You have been so Inspiring and gracious sharing your Research and I have enjoyed! I learn so much! Congratulations!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. A belated Happy Blogiversary to you! I am glad I've gotten to know you during these recent blogging years.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Blogiversary! You've had some tremendous accomplishments over the past 8 years. Congratulations! Here's to many more ahead...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Anniversary, Heather. I didn't realize that we started our blogs within days of each other in the same year. Here's to another 8 years of great blogging!

    ReplyDelete