Monday, October 16, 2017

Along the Pilgrim Trail ~ Stephen Hopkins of Upper Clatford, Hampshire, England

Along the Pilgrim Trail, Part 5

All Saints Church, Upper Clatford, Hampshire, England

Vincent and I recently took the General Society of Mayflower Descendants Historic Sites Tour of England, Wales and The Netherlands along with 41 other enthusiast participants (known as "The 43").  We traced the footsteps of the Separatists and the Mayflower passengers and crew all around these countries with some amazing tour directors, guides, historians and authors.  We were given access to places off the usual tourist trails, and behind the scenes.  We had a wonderful time, and I will be blogging about it over the next few weeks.

On our tour we stopped at many small churches in tiny little English villages. One of the first village churches we toured was All Saints in Upper Clatford, Hampshire, where Stephen Hopkins (1581 – 1644) of the Mayflower was baptized on 30 April 1581.  He was the son of John Hopkins and Elizabeth Williams.  He was minister’s clerk, and worked for the Virginia Company.  He left on board the Sea Venture in 1609 for Jamestown, Virginia, but was shipwrecked in Bermuda.  The castaways rebuilt two new boats and reached Jamestown in 1610.  Sometime later Hopkins returned to London, and found that his wife had died.  He remarried to Elizabeth Fisher and in 1620 boarded the Mayflower with his family for the New World a second time.

A copy of the baptism record of Stephen Hopkins
is on display inside All Saints church

The Stephen Hopkins descendants posed for a group photo
in front of the altar with Jane from All Saints church

This rural church was surrounded by grazing cows and sheep, with a tidy little churchyard full of interesting gravestones.  Even those of us who were not Hopkins descendants were enchanted! The church building was originally erected in the 12th century, and today it looks much like it did when Stephen Hopkins attended services here.

Jane, the church historian who gave us a tour, informed us that PBS had been to the church recently with the author and historian Caleb Johnson to film a documentary about the life of Stephen Hopkins.  I can’t wait!  His life story is like an action adventure movie.

Stay tuned for more coming soon!

Yes, those are cows right next to the church gate!


Views of the picturesque churchyard at Upper Clatford



The Upper Clatford welcome committee!


Part 1 of this series "Babworth, Nottinghamshire":

Part 2 of this series “Scrooby Manor, Nottinghamshire”:

----------------------------------


Heather Wilkinson Rojo, "Along the Pilgrim Trail ~ Stephen Hopkins of Upper Clatford, Hampshire, England”, Nutfield Genealogy, posted October 16, 2017, (https://nutfieldgenealogy.blogspot.com/2017/10/along-pilgrim-trail-stephen-hopkins-of.html: accessed [access date]). 

19 comments:

  1. Thanks so much! This is my husband's line.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is my ancestor also...through Constance Hopkins.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Cousin! My husband is from the Snow/Paine line.

      Delete
  3. I never knew such a tour existed. How fun! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. He's not my ancestor (Brewster is), but everything I know about Hopkins is likable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another Hopkins descendant here, through daughter Damaris. Scrutinizing the photo of other Hopkins' kin, the only resemblance I could find was grey hair, alas! I'm living vicariously through your trip. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fascinating! I am a direct descendant of Steven Hopkins and John Howland. Also have Snow/Paine in there too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My lines are to Constance and Giles her brother. Thank you for sharing this great post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am descended through his son Giles.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am descended through his daughter Damaris. Thank you for posting this!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for sharing this! I am a descendant of Stephen through his daughter, Constance.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So exciting to see this.. He is my 10thGr.Grandfather, from the Doville,(my Dad), Delano line.
    Thanks for this great story/Pictures,, GAYLE< AGE *# YOUNG< LOL>>

    ReplyDelete
  12. So exciting to see this.. He is my 10thGr.Grandfather, from the Doville,(my Dad), Delano line.
    Thanks for this great story/Pictures,, GAYLE< AGE *# YOUNG< LOL>>

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glad to see so many people enjoyed the visit!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Stephen Hopkins is my 11th great grandfather, line goes thru Constance Hopkins to Sarah Snow and William Walker to elmira Walker who married Samual Cotton and down to my grandmother Hazel and to my mom Phyllis Cotton Little. I just finished book Here shall I die Ashore and would like to know people who might be related to me! Would love to do that tour you did, do they still have it? JOan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joan! The General Society of Mayflower Descendants does this tour every once in a while (I could find no pattern, maybe every five years or so?) so check your Mayflower Quarterly journal if you are a member! Or check with the Hopkins Society to see if they do a similar tour.

      Delete
  15. Just found your blog today! How exciting! I have only recently discovered my Mayflower ancestors: John Howland and of course the Tilley family. Found my husband is descended from Stephen Hopkins. I too just finished reading "Here Shall I Die Ashore". Great book. He descends thru daughter Lydia.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I just took a dna test on ancestry and found out Stephen Hopkins is my 12th great grandfather! Thank you so much for the info 🤗

    ReplyDelete