Monday, April 11, 2011

The National Archives- They read my blog!?

National Archives
Washington, DC
For part 1, click here  "George Washington Signed Here?"
For part 2, click here   "National Archives - Good News/ Bad News"

Part 3 - -  I recieved this email:

"I work at the National Archives on social media and digitization efforts. As part of that work, your blog post of Wednesday, April 6, was brought to my attention: http://nutfieldgenealogy.blogspot.com/2011/04/national-archives-good-news-bad-news.html

Your description of your research experience at the National Archives was very informative and I was glad that Ms. Blanton helped by providing more information for your research.

I also appreciate your optimistic spirit, even though you didn't get a chance to look at the original document, due to its preservation in the vault.

We were able to get a high resolution, color copy of the document available via our Flickr stream, at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/usnationalarchives/5601107283/

We also plan to make this available in our online catalog in the near future, too. I hope this provides a bit more of the feeling for the original document and is of use to you.

I wish you all the best with your research and your blogging about it!
Sincerely,
Pam

Pamela Wright
Chief Digital Access Strategist
National Archives and Records Administration"


A much improved image!
Abner Poland, Jr.'s discharge paper
from the Revolutionary War

and so I sent this reply:

"Dear Ms. Wright,
Thanks so much for your email. Your photograph of Abner Polands' document is great! In color and with a higher resolution it is much easier to see what part of the paper was printed as a form, and what parts were filled in with ink. The signatures are easier to see, too, especially General Washington's signature!

I printed out a copy for my Mom, and she was thrilled. It will be a family heirloom! I will certainly use this in writing up our family history and the chapter on the Poland family will be much improved now that we know the story behind this document. Our adventure in Washington is a big part of that story.

I'm glad NARA has a social media department. I've recieved many comments and emails about my blog post, and family members will be thrilled now to see the photograph on my updated post next week.

Sincerely,
Heather Wilkinson Rojo"

The image above is the one provided by NARA and stored at Flickr.com at the link provided in the text of Pamela Wright's email to me.

---------------

Copyright 2011, Heather Wilkinson Rojo

10 comments:

  1. Big brother is reading our blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heather, amazing!
    And btw, I have a West cousin up in Maine who's married to a Poland! Another connection!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful!!! Great job on your part and on NARA's balancing preservation and access. A real feel good story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome Heather! I do not see any reason why they shouldn't be reading your blog! Nice copy, congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so glad you have a better copy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful story - and the copy looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great to see that NARA is alert and responsive to social media... and that the squeaky wheel got the grease! Nice going, Heather!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's awesome! It's so nice to see a positive example of our tax dollars at work. There are some great public employees out there.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fabulous. And it just goes to show, we never know who's reading our words. Thanks for yours!

    Kathleen, a3Genealogy

    ReplyDelete