Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Tombstone Tuesday - Leavitt Cemetery, Chichester, New Hampshire

The William F. Locke Family Plot. William (1826 - 1870) was the brother to my ancestor, Abigail M. Locke (1825 - 1888), wife of George E. Batchelder of Chichester. Abigail and William F. were the children of Richard and Margaret Locke (below).

Margaret Welch, wife of Richard Locke,
She is a Brickwall Ancestor- I have not idea who are her parents or family.
She was born aobut 1796 probably in Kittery, Maine, and died 11 March 1860 in Chichester, New Hampshire.

Richard Locke, son of Simon Locke and Abigail Mace. He is my 4x great grandfather. Captain Richard Locke went to Boston in 1811 to learn the blacksmith's trade, later was a sea captain and died in Chichester, New Hampshire in 1864, having made his will ten days before. He was listed in the 1850 census as a farmer, with his real estate valued at $10,000. His household in the Federal Census of 1850 included his wife, Margaret; his widowed daughter Abigail; his daughter Mehitable; his father, Simon; and his infant grandson, George E. Batchelder. He is a direct descendant of John Locke (1627 - 1695) who was killed by the Indians in Rye, New Hampshire whilst cutting hay on the marsh. (Locke Genealogy page 71)

Epitaph:
Richard Locke
died March 23, 1864
AE 70 ys
I am again we hope to meet there when the days of life are fled
then in heaven with joy to greet thee where no farewell tears shed

---------------------
Copyright 2010, Heather Wilkinson Rojo

3 comments:

  1. I also have a Welch brick wall. Maybe our guys are related. Your pictures are nice, and now I need to look on a map to see where Chichester is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am still stuck on Mr. Andrew Mace's(born in the 1700's) parents....I do have way back to New Hampshire ,this took a allot of help from allot of people using "out of the box" techniques, thank goodness I have free long distance to call states and get records.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed your photo's of leavettt Cematery. I remember that place very well. WE used to walk down there from the Alice Sanborns house on Canterberry RD. I am also related to the Loche Family throu my grandmother Ethel GUtterson.

    ReplyDelete