Saturday, May 24, 2014

Surname Saturday ~ ANDREWS of Essex, Massachusetts (Ipswich’s Chebacco Parish)

Ipswich, Massachusetts town seal
(see the story below for an explanation)

ANDREWS

Here is another ancestor from whom I descend from three sons.  It is a tangled lineage (scroll to the bottom for genealogy information.

Lieutenant John Andrews was born about 1620 in England.  His parentage is unknown.  Also, there are many Andrews families in Ipswich in the 1600s, and it is unknown if Lt. John was related to Captain Robert Andrews.   He was granted 8 acres of land for his service during the Pequot War in 1637.  He lived “in the part of Ipswich which in 1679 was organized as Chebacco Parish and in 1819 incorporated as the town of Essex, Mass.” [NEHGS Register, Volume 70 (1916) page 103]

Lt. John Andrews was a house carpenter and farmer by trade, and also served in several town offices.  He also participated in the unusual Ipswich tax rebellion of 1687.  “…the inhabitants of Ipswich in 1687 resisted the order of Sir Edmund Andros [no relation] and his council for levying a tax on the King’s subjects… John Andrews was at that time chairman of the selectmen of Ipswich, and John Appleton was town clerk.  They, with John Wise, the minister, and others, called a meeting, at which the command of the Governor to choose a commissioner to assist in assessing the tax was discussed; and at the town meeting the next day (23 Aug.) the town considered that by the laws of England it was enacted “that no Taxes should be Levied upon the Subjects without consent of an Assembly chosen by the Freeholders.”  For this act of the town Mr. Wise, John Andrews, John Appleton, William Goodhue, Robert Kinsman, and Thomas French were arrested, brought before the court at Boston, and tried.. [and found guilty]  This act of resistance has been called “the foundation of American Democracy” and was the beginning of those events which eighty-eight years later culminated in the Revolutionary War.  It is commemorated in the seal of the town of Ipswich, which bears the motto “The Birthplace of American Independence 1687” [NEGHS Register, Volume 70 (1916), page 103]

Of all the men mentioned above, I descend from Lt. John Andrews, William Goodhue and Robert Kinsman.  I also descend from John Proctor of Ipswich, who was hung as a witch in 1692.  Lt. John Andrews and his four sons, along with many Ipswich men, signed a petition in support of John Proctor and his wife during their trials in Salem.  The petition was unsuccessful, and John Proctor was hung, although his wife escaped execution because she was pregnant.

Of John Andrews’ four sons, I descend from William, Thomas and Joseph.

Generation 1:  John Andrews, born about 1620 in England, died 20 April 1708 in the Chebacco Parish; married about 1645 to Jane Jordan, daughter of Stephen Jordan and Susannah Unknown.  She was born about 1622 in England and died after 1705 in the Chebacco Parish.  Five children.

Lineage A:

Generation 2: William Andrews, born 1649 in the Chebacco Parish, died 7 February 1716/7 in the Chebacco Parish; married on 20 October 1672 in Ipswich to Margaret Woodward, daughter of Ezekiel Woodward and Anne Beamsley.  She was born 24 February 1655 in Boston and died 22 May 1716 in Scarborough, Maine.  Twelve children.

Generation 3: John Andrews, born 2 February 1676 in Ipswich, died 25 March 1753 in the Chebacco Parish; married on 11 January 1706 in Ipswich to Elizabeth Story, daughter of Seth Story and Elizabeth Cross.

Generation 4: Abigail Andrews married 2 December 1736 in Ipswich to Jeremiah Burnham, son of John Burnham and Ann Choate.

Generation 5: Abigail Burnham m. Isaac Allen
Generation 6: Joseph Allen m. Judith Burnham
Generation 7: Joseph Allen m. Orpha Andrews (see below)
Generation 8: Joseph Gilman Allen m. Sarah Burnham Mears
Generation 9: Joseph Elmer Allen m. Carrie Maud Batchelder
Generation 10: Stanley Elmer Allen m. Gertrude Matilda Hitchings (my grandparents)

Lineage B:

Generation 2: Thomas Andrews, born about 1654 in the Chebacco Parish, died 22 March 1718/9 in the Chebacco Parish; married on 9 February 1681 to Mary Belcher, daughter of Jeremiah Belcher and Mary Lockwood.  She was born 21 July 1660 and died on 31 March 1731 in Ipswich.

Generation 3: Thomas Andrews, born 1682 in Ipswich, died 13 February 1746 in Ipswich; married on 8 April 1711 in Ipswich to Mary Smith, daughter of John Smith and Elizabeth Unknown.  She was born 27 September 1685 in Ipswich, and died 31 March 1731 in Ipswich.  Thomas Andrews married second to Rebecca Cole.

Generation 4: Mary Andrews, born about 1712 in Ipswich; married on 16 August 1735 in Ipswich to Stephen Burnham, son of Thomas Burnham and Susannah Boardman.  He was born about 1715 and died 1790 in Milford, New Hampshire. Thirteen children.

Generation 5: Colonel Joshua Burnham m. Jemima Wyman
Generation 6: Jemima Burnham m. Romanus Emerson
Generation 7: George Emerson m. Mary Esther Younger
Generation 8: Mary Katharine Emerson m. George E. Batchelder
Generation 9: Carrie Maude Batchelder m. Joseph Elmer Allen
Generation 10: Stanley Elmer Allen m. Gertrude Matilda Hitchings (my grandparents)

Lineage C:

Generation 2: Joseph Andrews, born 1657 in the Chebacco Parish, died between 13 February and 5 March 1724/5 in the Chebacco Parish; married on 16 February 1680/1 in the Chebacco Parish to Sarah Ring, daughter of Daniel Ring/Rindge and Mary Kinsman.  She was born 17 August 1659 in Ipswich and died after 1714.

Generation 3: John Andrews, born 1 June 1691 in the Chebacco Parish, died October 1762 in the Chebacco Parish; married on 6 December 1716 in Gloucester to Elizabeth Wallis, daughter of James Wallis and Martha Stanford.  She was born about 25 February 1694 in Beverly, died before 7 November 1757 in Ipswich.  John married second to Margaret Crafts on 7 November 1757.

Generation 4: John Andrews, born 1717, died 3 May 1779 in Ipswich; married on 1 March 1747/8 in Ipswich to Martha Cogswell, daughter of John Cogswell and Sarah Brown.  She was born 1 January 1719 in the Chebacco Parish, and died 23 December 1809 in Ipswich.  John had been previously married to Mary Burnham on 5 January 1741/2.

Generation 5: James Andrews, born 13 November 1763 in the Chebacco Parish, died 19 October 1857; married on 15 July 1788 in Ipswich to Lucy Presson, daughter of William Presson and Abigail Sargent.  She was born in May 1763 in Gloucester and died 5 September 1852 in Essex, Massachusetts. Ten chlldren.

Generation 6:  Orpha Andrews, born 3 February 1804 in the Chebacco Parish, died 20 April 1869 in Peabody, Massachusetts; married on 28 October 1824 in Essex to Joseph Allen, son of Joseph Allen and Judith Burnham.  He was born 31 July 1801 in the Chebacco Parish, and died 2 August 1894 in Beverly, Massachusetts.

Generation 7: Joseph Gilman Allen m. Sarah Burnham Mears (see above)

For more information on Lt. John Andrews:

The Descendants of Lieut. John Andrews of Ipswich, Essex County, Massachusetts by Betty Andrews Storey, 2009 on CD ROM

New England Historic Genealogical Society Register, Volume 70 (1916), page 102-103

also
The Will of Lieut. John Andrews
" In the name of God, Amen, in the thirteenth Day of March one Thousand Seven Hundred adn five, I John Androse, Senior of Sebacco in Ipswich of ye Countie of Essex within ye province of Massachusetts being in New england yeoman being at this time of perfect mind and memory thanks be given unto god; But calling unto mind ye mortallity of my body and knowing yt it is appointe for men once to Dye. Do make and ordine This my Last will and Testament-that is to say principally and first of all. I give and Recommend My Soul is not yet in the handes of god yet give it and my body I Recommend to ye Earth, to be Buried in decent Christian Burial at ye Descression of my Executors; nothing Doubting but At ye Genneral Resserection I shall receive ye same againe by ye mighty power of god, and As touching Such worldly Estate wherewith it hath pleased god to bless me in this Life. I give Demise and Dispose of ye same in the following manner and forme.
Imprimis. I give and bequeath unto my Eldest Son Jn Androse ye sum of five shillings to be levied out of my Estate adn paid by my executor unto him after my Desease allso Confirming to him what I have alred given him by Deed of Gifte. -
Item. I give adn bequeath to my second son William Androuse one fourthe part of my whole esstate both land or march which I have not allred given away by Deed of gift and allso al my moveable Estate according to a true Inventory threof taken. What shall Remaine to be clear Estate after my funeral Expenses and just Debts are paid, I freely give my Son William androse one fourth part there of only I do herebyu oblige him to pay one fourth part of ye charges of maintaning my Wife So long as Shje shall live after my Decease and when it shall please god to take her Away by Death I do hereby oblige him to pay one fourth part of ye charges of a decent funerall unto her.
Item I give adn bequeathe to my Son Thomas androse one fourth part of my whole Estate both lands or marsh and al other Estate which shall be cleare according to inventory after my funerqall expenses and just Debts are paid onely I do Here by oblige him to Pay one fourth part of ye charges in maintaining my wife so long as she shall live after my Decease and to pay one fourth part of ye charges of Her funerall when God shall please to take her away by Death.
Item. I given and bequeth unto Elizabeth my Daughter wife of James Giddinge one fourth part of my whole Estate both Real and personal as landes marsh or any other Estate according to inventory as shal appear to be clear after my funerall expenses and just Debts Are paid onely I oblige her to pay one fourth part of ye charges for maintaining my funerall expenses and just Debts Are paid onely I oblige her to pay one fourth part of ye charges fo maintaining my Wife So long as she shall live after my Decese and to pay one fourth part of ye charges of her funerall when god shall please to Deprive her of her Naturall lifed allso, I do hereby order and Desire yt my Wife shall Dwell with my Daughter Elizabeth giddinge after my Decease so long as she lives; (further more I do hereby order ordaine and appoint my Trusty friend William Gidding of Sebacco Cordwinder to be my soule executor of this my Last Will and Tesstamernt. ) and I Do hereby utterly Disallow Revok and Disanull all and Everry other former testaments Willes legacyes and bequestes adn executors by me in any wayes before named Willed and bequeathed Ratifying and confirming this and no other be my last Will and testaments in Witness whereof I have hereunto set my hand and Seale by Day and year above written."
John Andrews "Signed Sealed published pronounced and declared by ye same Jn Androsuse Seniour as his Last Will and testament in ye presentes of us subscribers.
Witnesses: Nathaniel Goodhue, Job Giddings, Solomon Giddings
----------------------------
The URL for this post is
http://nutfieldgenealogy.blogspot.com/2014/05/surname-saturday-andrews-of-essex.html

Copyright 2014, Heather Wilkinson Rojo

No comments:

Post a Comment