Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Tombstone Tuesday ~ Mary Munroe and Jonathan Clough, Peabody, Massachusetts

This tombstone was photographed at the Monumental Cemetery in Peabody, Massachusetts.


MARY MUNROE
wife of
Jonathan C. Clough
Died
Feb. 4, 1888
AEt. 78 yrs.


JONATHAN C. CLOUGH
DIED
Mar. 2, 1877
AEt, 66 years

Mary Munroe is my first cousin four generations removed.  Her father, Isaac Munroe (1785 - 1822) was the brother to my 3rd great grandfather, Luther Simonds Munroe (1805 - 1851).  Mary was born 30 November 1808 in Danvers, Massachusetts and died 4 February 1888 in Peabody.  She married Jonathan C. Clough on 5 June 1836 in Danvers.

Jonathan C. Clough was the son of Stephen Clough and Betsey Carr.  He was born 16 December 1810 in Weare, New Hampshire and died 2 March 1877 in Peabody.  He was listed as a tanner in the 1850 census and as working in a morocco factory in the 1870 census.  Peabody was known as the "Leather City", and morocco is a fine leather used in book binding.  

-------------------------

The URL for this post is
http://nutfieldgenealogy.blogspot.com/2014/03/tombstone-tuesday-mary-munroe-and.html

Copyright (c) 2014, Heather Wilkinson Rojo

2 comments:

  1. The Clough surname got me to thinking. When I was a child, my mother used to take my brother and I to Clough State Park in Dunbarton/Weare to go swimming. I was wondering if it was your ancestral Clough property, for lack of a better word, used to create the Clough State Park/Everett Lake for the Everett Dam. Just a thought, that I find fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny that you should mention that! We just moved to Manchester, New Hampshire near Dunbarton Road, and last week I drove past the Clough State Park twice! I haven't traced Jonathan Clough's ancestry back yet, since he was an "in-law", but he might have had a common ancestor to the person the park honors.

      Delete