Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Tombstone Tuesday ~ David and Martha Deming, Wethersfield, Connecticut

This tombstone was photographed at the Ancient Burial Ground in Wethersfield, Connecticut


In Memory                  In Memory
of Lievt.                  of Mrs. Mar
David                    tha wife of
Deming he               Lievt. David
died Febr. ye 17           Deming.   She
1777 in ye 75              died Septr ye 7
Year of                     1763 in ye 62
his Age.              Year of
                             her Age.

I love double tombstones.  This one has souls with heads shaped like light bulbs, close set eyes and a distinctive bulbous nose I've only seen in Wethersfield.  Other soul's head noses seen in this same burial ground are triangles.  Very peculiar, don't you think? 

---------------------------

Heather Wilkinson Rojo, "Tombstone Tuesday ~  David and Martha Deming, Wethersfield, Connecticut", Nutfield Genealogy, posted July 12, 2016, (  http://nutfieldgenealogy.blogspot.com/2016/07/tombstone-tuesday-david-and-martha.html: accessed [access date]).

3 comments:

  1. Heather, these are quite unique. And, my sister's husband is a Demming, who descends from the Demings of Chatham, MA. Do you know how this David is related?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peggy, I'm sorry but I took this photo just because the noses were so interesting. I have no Demming ancestors. Perhaps one of my readers knows the Demiming family genealogy?

      Delete
  2. I have seen noses like this. In fact, the study I am going now has turned up a lot of them. I will post on New England Genealogy Fb page.

    ReplyDelete