Monday, June 6, 2016

The Nathaniel Foote Memorial in Wethersfield, Connecticut


These photographs were taken on the village green in Wethersfield, Connecticut.  This was the site of the Nathaniel Foote homestead (Nathaniel Foote 1592 - 1644)  The monument was placed here by the original Foote Family Association in 1908.  This organization was active between 1907 and 1934, and then reorganized and is 30 years old.  The monument was restored during the 2009 Foote Family reunion.  We parked on a nearby residential street corner to visit this monument.  When we walked back I saw that we were parked under the street sign "Foote Path"! 


NATHANIEL FOOTE
THE SETTLER
BORN IN ENGLAND 1590
DIED IN WETHERSFIELD 1644
ERECTED BY THE
FOOTE FAMILY ASSOCIATION
OF AMERICA
ON THE ORIGINAL HOME LOT
SEPTEMBER 17, 1908


[Back of the monument]

HIS CHILDREN
ELIZABETH
NATHANIEL
MARY
ROBERT
FRANCES
SARAH
REBECCA


You can learn more about the Foote Family Association of America at their website:  www.footefamily.org

My FOOTE lineage can be seen at this previous “Surname Saturday” post:

Generation 1:   Nathaniel Foote m. Elizabeth Deming
Generation 2:   Nathaniel Foote m. Elizabeth Smith
Generation 3:   Nathaniel Foote m. Margaret Bliss
Generation 4:   Eunice Foote m. Michael Taintor
Generation 5:   Eunice Taintor m. Aaron Skinner
Generation 6:   Charles Skinner m. Sarah Osborn
Generation 7:    Ann Skinner m. Thomas Ratchford Lyons
Generation 8:    Isabella Lyons m. Rev. Ingraham Ebenezer Bill
Generation 9:    Caleb Rand Bill m. Ann Margaret Bollman
Generation 10:  Isabella Lyons Bill m. Albert Munroe Wilkinson
Generation 11:  Donald Munroe Wilkinson m. Bertha Louise Wilkinson (my grandparents)


PS -  I had two immigrant ancestors named FOOTE.  There is Nathaniel Foote of Wethersfield, Connecticut, and also Pasco Foote of Salem (Manchester), Massachusetts.  Here is a link to the "Surname Saturday" post about Pasco Foote:
http://nutfieldgenealogy.blogspot.com/2012/04/surname-saturday-foote-of-salem.html 

------------------------------------ 

Heather Wilkinson Rojo, "The Nathaniel Foote Memorial in Wethersfield, Connecticut", Nutfield Genealogy, posted June 6, 2016, ( http://nutfieldgenealogy.blogspot.com/2016/06/the-nathaniel-foote-memorial-in.html: accessed [access date]). 

8 comments:

  1. Thanks for doing this Heather, I have Foote in my lineage. Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi cuz!
    I'm a Foote descendant by daughter Elizabeth and also by daughter Frances
    Erica

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am also a Foote relative. My grandma's maiden name is Foote she is now 98 years old. I have Genealogy for the Foote side dated back to 868 for the year.
    Would love to get ahold if distant relatives.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey relative! I'm a distant Foote relative in Canada. Related to daughter Frances.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Neat! My maiden name is Foote and Nathaniel Foote was my 10th great-grandfather.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am a Foote ancestor. Nathaniel Foote is my 10th great grandfather

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nathaniel Foote is my 7th great grandfather.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am also related,my mother is Barbara Foote from Stockton, CA

    ReplyDelete