Tuesday, May 9, 2017

Consider Yourself Invited! Contribute to the Honor Roll Project for Memorial Day 2017

Acworth, New Hampshire
photo by Denise Picard Lindgren


Please join me in the Honor Roll Project.  Volunteers are taking photos of war memorials and honor rolls, posting them on their blogs and websites, and transcribing the names of all the people listed.  These transcriptions make the names available for search engines, and the names will be available for people searching for family, ancestors and friends.

I started this project in 2010 with the photos of the Londonderry, New Hampshire Civil War monument, and then followed with the other war monuments on the town common, and other local honor rolls.  Other bloggers and photographers were invited to participate.  The email and comments I have read are truly inspiring, and it makes it well worth the effort to transcribe names when you read how family members found their fathers and grandfathers online, or how families searching their family trees find ancestors who served in the Civil War or World War I.

"I never knew my ancestor was in the Civil War until I Googled his name and found it on your blog! Thanks so much for your project - Charles Chase" 13 Dec 2011

" Thank you! Aina Bernier- daughter of Ernest Albert Bernier, Jr." 27 Jan 2011

If you would like to participate this year, I will be posting a compilation post of all the participating bloggers on Monday, May 29th, Memorial, and I will also make those posts permanently available at the new website for the Honor Roll Project http://honorrollproject.weebly.com/    Every May I publicize the project for Memorial Day, and again every November for Veteran’s / Armistice Day.  

To participate, leave me a comment below or an email at vrojomit@gmail.com 

All you need to do is photograph a local honor roll or war monument, and transcribe the names.  If you have a blog, post the story, photos and transcriptions and send me the permanent link for the Honor Roll Project.  Bloggers, if you would like to host the transcription and photo from a non-blogger, please send me an email.  If you don’t have a blog, I can post the photo and names for you and add it to the Honor Roll Project, giving you full credit for the photography and transcription.

This is a simple way of saying “Thank You” to all the veterans in our communities.  And an easy way to share these "hidden" names on the internet.


The Honor Roll Project:  http://honorrollproject.weebly.com/    

5 comments:

  1. Heather,

    I want to let you know that your blog post is listed in today's Genealogy Fab Finds post at http://janasgenealogyandfamilyhistory.blogspot.com/2017/05/janas-genealogy-fab-finds-for-may-12.html

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Heather,

    My Honor Roll Project contribution for 2017 is located here:
    https://www.sassyjanegenealogy.com/cal-poly-world-war-ii-honor-roll/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heather,
    Thank you for doing this to honor our veterans! After reading Schalene's blog post on Genealogy Bloggers FB page about how she contributes to the Honor Roll Project, my husband and I decided to help out whenever we can, also. When i was showing him your website, he reminded me that there was one near the courthouse in town. Checked your Honor Rolls, and checked the Directory that Schalene mentioned...not listed on either. The monument in my childhood town is not listed in either, also. So, I guess that we have our work cut out for us in the following months!

    ReplyDelete