Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Tombstone Tuesday ~ Katharine Whipple, d. 1702 Ipswich, Massachusetts

This tombstone was photographed at the Old Burying Ground Cemetery in Ipswich, Massachusetts


HERE LYETH
Ye BODY
OF KATHARINE
WHIPPLE
AGED 17 YEARS
DIED AUGSt Ye
16  1702

Katharine Whipple is my 2nd cousin nine generations removed.  I was wandering the Old Burying Ground in Ipswich searching for surnames from my family tree (Whipple, Treadwell, Goodhue, etc) when I saw this stone.  I thought that 1702 was very early and hoped that it was one of the oldest stones in the cemetery.  But immediately after Vincent took this photo, we found two from 1696!  I'm not sure what the oldest tombstone is in this cemetery, but you can have a lot of fun looking!

Katharine Whipple, the daughter of John Whipple and Katherine Leighton, was born 25 August 1685 in Ipswich, and died 16 August 1702 in Ipswich.   I found three children born to John and Katherine Whipple in the vital records, and Katharine was the eldest daughter.  She was the great grand daughter of Matthew and Jane Whipple, the immigrant ancestors of the Whipples of Ipswich.  Matthew Whipple (1560 - 1619) died in Bocking, Suffolk, England and his two sons, John (1595 - 1669) and Matthew Whipple (1588 - 1647) came to Ipswich, and I descend from both of them.  Katharine descends from John Whipple and his wife, Susannah Clark.

--------------------------
The URL for this post is
http://nutfieldgenealogy.blogspot.com/2015/01/tombstone-tuesday-katharine-whipple-d.html
Copyright (c) 2015, Heather Wilkinson  Rojo

2 comments:

  1. I don't have my Whipple notes handy, but I know that a man born in 1590 could not possibly have fathered a child in 1588. A correction is in order.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! You are correct! He was born in 1560, not 1590. Thanks for pointing out the typo. I have corrected that error.

      Delete