Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Weathervane Wednesday Wrap up for 2012

This gilded centaur can be seen at Mack's Apples in Londonderry.
It is the first weathervane I posted in this series.

I’ve posted 75 weathervanes in this series, and there are several dozen more to go!  I’m inviting any reader to email me at vrojomit@gmail.com if you spot an unusual, historic or whimsical weathervane I have not yet posted online.  Just drop me a quick message with the location and a description, and I’ll try to make your contributions part of the Weathervane Wednesday series in 2013. 
 
Most of these weathervanes have been in the Nutfield area (Londonderry, Derry and Windham, New Hampshire, but there have been a few from far away including Spain and Disney World in California!

Since I’ve been posting these photographs and stories for more than a year now, I thought it would be fun to tally up what sorts of weathervanes I’ve covered so far…

Angels - 2
Arrows and Banners - 9
Cats- 1
Birds (other than ducks or eagles)- 1
Boats and ships - 4
Cows – 3
Dogs- 3
Ducks and Geese- 3
Eagles – 6
Fish and Whales – 3
Horses – 10
Horse and vehicles – 2
Human figures - 2
Letters, numbers and words - 2
Roosters – 5
Vehicles (bikes, motorcycles, tractors, trolleys, cars, etc.) – 7
Misc – one each of a saw, phone, spider web, centaur, deer and “The Old Man of the Mountains”

The clear winner so far is horses, with an additional two horse drawn vehicle weathervanes makes the equestrian theme the most popular weathervane in Weathervane Wednesday series.   Did you have a favorite?  Please comment below about your favorite shape of weathervane.

Click this link to see the entire Weathervane Wednesday series of posts!

-------------------------
Copyright 2012, Heather Wilkinson Rojo

2 comments: