Thursday, February 7, 2013

News from Nutfield


The ARCHIBALD Anomaly
A few months ago I started reading a blog called “A Hoyt Family Genealogy” because the author had some cousin connections with my family tree.  Then I read her post on January 15th and found out she lived in Derry!  And she was blogging about John Archibald and his tombstone!  What serendipity… and since then I’ve put her in contact with many Archibald descendants.  This should keep her busy for a while.  You can read that story at this link: http://www.la-famille.mardistudio.com/blog/2013/01/tombstone-tuesday-john-archibald/#comment-122

Award Amplifications
Thanks to Randy Seaver at the “Genea-Musings” blog for naming me to his Best of the Genea Blogs List for 2012.  I squeaked in at #18 (last) on the list, but I am still flabbergasted to have even made this list.  What a great honor! Gracias, Randy!

And thanks to Robin C. Mason, the Boston Genealogy Examiner at examiner.com.  She posted Nutfield Genealogy on her list of great Massachusetts Genealogy blogs, along with J.L. Bell’s Boston 1775, Ryan W. Owen’s Forgotten New England, Marian Pierre-Louis’s Roots and Rambles, Chris’s Massachusetts and More Genealogy Blog, and Randy Seaver’s Genea-Musings.  I’m in very good company, as all of these are among my very favorites on my blog reader list.

And finally, thanks so much to blogger, author and genealogist Mariann Regan who surprised me with a nomination for the Blog of the Year 2012 Award.  And then thanks to John, John, Kathryn and Pam for four more stars.  I’m at five starts towards the “Blog of the Year”!  Lets see what happens….

The Pinterest Paradigm
Update on the infamous bread board/cutting board blog post.  In the first week of this new year I was surprised to see about 400 hits one night on this blog post about a recipe written in my mother’s handwriting wood burned into a cutting board.  http://nutfieldgenealogy.blogspot.com/2012/12/a-favorite-christmas-gift-you-might.html  Several friends on Facebook told me that this image had been pinned to someone’s board at Pinterest and had “gone viral”.  In my last “News from Nutfield” I mentioned how surprised I was that it had reached 1,500 hits.  Well, in the next week I woke up one morning to see that while I was sleeping I had received almost 1,500 hits during a single night.  Since then I've had over 7,000 hits on this one post in a little more than a month.  Several crafters also listed my post on their “follow Friday” craft blogs.  The most popular was at this link, where I’ve received thousands of hits in just a few days: http://iowagirleats.com/2013/01/11/friday-favorites-54/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+IowaGirlEats+%28Iowa+Girl+Eats%29    "Iowa Girl Eats"  must be an immensely popular blog.   Thanks, Kristin the Iowa Girl!

New Records Extrapolations:
(New records online of interest to New England genealogy research)

At Ancestry.com
Massachusetts, Town Marriage Records 1620 – 1850

Connecticut, Divorce Index 1968 – 1997
US, New England Marriages Prior to 1700
Rhode Island, Indexes to Naturalization Records, 1890 – 1992
Early Connecticut Marriages

FamilySearch.org
Maine, State Archives Collections 1790 – 1966
Maine, Oxford County Probate Estate Files 1805 – 1915
Mass. State Vital Records 1841 – 1920
Vermont, Franklin Country Probate 1796 - 1921

New England Historic Genealogical Society
Barbour Collection Updated (East Haddam, Somers, Union and Wilmington added)
Bristol County, Mass. Extracts from Court of General Sessions 1687 - 1801
Rhode Island Roots now searchable through volume 10
Upcoming Ancestry Day with NEHGS is March 2, 2013 in Boston! -
  
Online Death Records, Indexes and Obituaries http://www.deathindexes.com/
Maine, Dixfield Cemeteries

Maine, Penobscot County, City of Brewer Cemetery Records
Vermont, Bennington County: Pownal Historical Society (cemetery burials, deaths 1921 – 1980, etc)

Click here to see new additions to the Maine Genealogy Network


Just for fun….

Have you checked out Marion Pierre-Louis’s new blog “On-site Research New England: The podcast for historical researchers” at http://www.researchnewengland.com/     At this site you can listen or download a podcast (recording) of her interviews with archivists, librarians and genealogists at New England archives and repositories of historical documents.  At her first post she interviews genealogist Rhonda McClure at the Microtext department of the New England Historic Genealogical Society library.

--------------------------------
Copyright 2013, Heather Wilkinson Rojo

2 comments:

  1. Glad I could help...I pinned the cutting board, but had no idea it would go viral. I just thought it was neat...and so did a lot of my followers. Whether I was the only original pinner, who knows, but I'm happy that I was able to give it a push. I even saved it to Evernote as a gift idea for my mom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many connections, so many awards, so much recognition! Well deserved, Heather! You are so very welcome. You've accomplished so much genealogical research, and it's time for some applause. You know, I'll bet you could patent that inscribed bread-cutting board and make a lot of money. Why not? Obviously it "speaks" to people. Hearty congratulations!

    ReplyDelete